Sign in to follow this  
Guest shep9999

Textures in Gmax

Guest shep9999

Can I have another pick of your brains please?I have a 256x256 texture (made up of 6 different images).I made a rectangle to create a basic Portacabin structure, to which I want to map one of these textures on to each face.I use the uvw and can select the face & the texture I want BUT when applying the said picture it just stretches and looks garbage.What is the simple way to stop this happening???cheersgaz

How are you mapping your texture? Are you using the UVW Map or the Unwrap option? If you just drop your texture on it the entire face will be filled with the entire texture, is that what you mean with garbage?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest shep9999

Hi Arno,yes , i'm using unwrap uvw. I create the planar , edit selected face,then edit , select the portion I want and it comes out funny.This attached pic isn't too bad but doesn't match what I selected onthe texture on the left ... see pictagaz

The problem is the shape of your building -- in the texture, the height is about a quarter of the length, but your object has different proportions -- trying making your building a lot longer.It's a good idea to jot down some measurements before you start, so that you can get a good ballpark set of dimensions. You can work out dimensions by doing some simple math on the height and length.Visit the Windowlight forum on Avsim... everything you need to know about New Zealand flightsim sceneryhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...forum=203&page=

Guest shep9999

Hi rob..knew it was something simple!!! (again)..I'll play about againmany thanksGaz

Guest shep9999

Rob,re your reply to my problem.."simple math" bit...can u please give me an example of what you mean?i.e. if a building is 30m x 50m x 10m... what size texture should I use if taken from a photo , say , 800x600 pixels.. Sorry if I sound dumb but I learn better from an example ..Thanks Gaz(age 53, forgotten maths!!:( )

Hi Gaz,Those texture maths are always a bit tricky :).What I usually do is that I select a certain resolution I want to use, for example 8 pixels/meter.If the side of the building is 50x10 meters, that means that the piece of the texture covering it must be 400x80 pixels.I then select the piece of photo I want and resize it to this size (this works best if your photo has more pixels then the piece of texture you are working on of course).I hope this helps a bit and probably other designers will have their own tricks to do such calculations. I prefer to calculate almost every part of my building for example, while others may "just" check if it looks OK.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest shep9999

hi Arno,Cheers for the reply..I've seen so many good designs for scenery (hangers etc) that look brilliant in fs9... u then check the texture file and find about 20 different 'parts' in a 256x256 bmp.when u are learning how it's done , as u say, some do it differently!.so, first thing is u do your 'box' in gmax, add the texture (in my post's above) to the sides and .... oh dear ... cr**ap!!.I know both you and Rob are a+ designers.. I've read and used your tutorials but still seem to miss the basic starting point. what we mere mortals need is ..a. Heres a picture of a building.b. Heres this building in Gmax ..(with x.. pixels per metre.. x pixels per metre in this photo)c. This is what your texture should look liked. This is what it looks like applied to the front Face etc.i.e. a complete prats guide to putting textures on in gmax !!!here is one thing i've done using a 'proper' bmp file (for my own use only of course).. I just used the texture as it is the best i've found for a portacabin.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94987.jpgThis is modeled at 1m and is 30 x 15 x 10mThis was the original 256x256 bmp with serveral .bmps on it..http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94988.jpgOn the original airport scenery the above main pic was clear as daylight..i'm getting there but very slowly!!..

I went thru this same period of learning. You are really very close.Try this as a learning tool. convert your model now to editable poly. move into vertex submode. Now select some vertexes and move them a bit, all the while watching what happens to your model. You'll begin to realize that the polygons are simply being painted as you have instructed gmax to paint them. While you'll be distorting your model, don't sweat it, this is about learning. Once you understand you can apply your learning effectively.If you don't want to risk your model, make a copy and try this.Best,Bob BernsteinPS...of course the other adjustment is on the edit page of the material editor, and moving those pixels is also instructive. It look to me like your model has more than one polygon forming the face of the trailer. you may not need that, or perhaps you do. you can also collapse undesired complex mesh into a much simpler one, which also makes this uvw process simpler.

Guest shep9999

Hello Bob,we communicated! about my ninian central project a while back..Thanks for the info... all is being taken onboard by all u gents..btw.. I still haven't got round to finishing the flare boom (your crane looking object!)... got the shape but not the see-thru texture yet... still ongoing .. such is life..probably why I'm back on the forum asking advice..aw well, a few more weeks and i'll get there.. I will try you advice above .. did actually find things in the texture box that altered things up/down/left/right... forgot what the bloody thing was though!!!..now, wheres the gmax icon on my desktop!!see yaGaz