Sign in to follow this  
Guest gorchi

fsds2 distance vs. framerates

Guest fsisland2001

Good eveningI am using FSDS2 to build objects/scenery and export them directly as bgl files as well as api files for further designing in Fs Architect. However I am unable to control the distance the macros are visible. The macros can be seen from very long distance and do therefore harm framerates. I tried to change the area types but without results.Hope someone can helpKjartan

Guest pecrowther

Kjartan,I believe that you designate the visibility distance by changing V1 and V2 in the macro properties. To minimize frame rate impact, you can also use multi-resolution models - which have less detail at a distance.Phil

Guest fsisland2001

Thanks for the information!This is what I did:1) First of all I went to EDIT-SELECT ALL (or a on the keyboard)2)Then PART-JOIN SELECTED (j)3)Then I saved the project with new name (note: do not join parts with light assigned to in the macro since the light will disappear if you do)4)EDIT-PART PROPERTIES (F2) In PRE-PROSESS pressed ADD, then CONDITION, then LOAD PRESET and selected DISTANCE FROM AIRCRAFT. In V2 I set 1000.The scale of my macro is 0.015 so I think the distance is 1.5km. The V2 value can of course be changed.Hope this helpsKjartan

Hi Kjartan,I am not familiar with FSDS anymore, but I think when you add a distance from aircraft condition you are not using the v1, but using an additional check. It is more efficient of course to skip this check and use the v1. This is probably called something like range. Or when you place your macro you can certainly specify it.For the v2, it is very important to set it as small as possible. A value of 1000 is too big in general, unless you have a very big building or course. If all your objects have a too big v2 value this can hurt the framerate a lot.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest gorchi

Hi Kjartan!May I ask You, why joining all the parts? Why setting the distance like the way You do? Much better way is to go to File - properties and there setting scale and distance. It works for whole object.But with part properties, You can indivually set distance for each object. If the objects are grouped in relationship father (parent)+ sons, You can set condition(s) only to the father and all the sons will also use father's conditions.I also think that scale can now be set to 1.00, especially for FS2002+ macros. No need to use different design scales anymore as the point coordinates are floating point now. I agree on the light part. This is a change from FSDS 1.x to FSDS 2.x and I dislike it. In FSDS 1.x one could make a part made of let's say 10 dots and name the part light_beacon. There were trully 10 light sources while in FSDS 2.x every light must be as separate part and the origin and orientation of part origin is very important.And to all novice designers, please do export models as macros and use some other software (FSSC, Airport for Windows, ObjPlacer, SceneGenX...) to combine them in scenery BGLs!Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net