Sign in to follow this  
Guest DonMac

FS SDK and gmax

Guest DonMac

I hope that I am doing the right thing here! For the past fortnight I have been wrestling with the 2004 SDk for producing my own scenery objects with gmax. I have searched the net and read dozens of suggestions on how to get it to work for me with no success. The solution to my problems all came down to finding the right directories! The SDk puts makemdl.exe, makemdl.parts.xml and FSModelExp.dle all in the same directory, namely g:gmaxgamepacksfs2004plugins. As far as I am concerned (and it is now easy to use and works well) the files should go into the following directories: makemdl.parts.xml ---------g:gmax the root directory FSModelExp.dle ---------g:gmaxplugins (not gamepacksfs20004-- and not stdplugs) makemdl.exe. ---------g:gmaxpluginsNow when you use gmax and select the FileExport (or Export selected) you should get a dialogue box which offers the choice of: FlightSim Cloud (*.CLD) FlightSim Scenery Object (*.MDL) FlightSim Aircraft Object (*.MDL) Plasma (*.P3D) All Formats In my case I chose the Scenery Option. Note the directory into which the files are saved! possibly 'meshes'. Come out of gmax and find 'meshes' - there should be two files in there with your filename, i.e. filename.mdl and filename.xmlSuffice it say that you now need bglcomp.exe and bglcomp.xsd (from the BGLcomp SKD source) and put them in any directory of your making - I call mine - Compile XMLs - copy BOTH filename.mdl and filename.xml into this directory. At this stage you need to edit the xml file (in Notepad will do - use 'Open with') Remove the comment tags from around the Scenery Object and re-save Then drag the file filename.xml over the file bglcomp.exe, click and you should see a new file by the name of filename.bgl appear. Should things not go completely as expected, it may be necessary to use bglcomp.exe from the command line and this will list any errors. That however is another story! I can try to give a little help if required!

You missed the point of using gamepacks especially if you only have the files for one gamepack installed.As a matter of fact, the original FS2002 gamepack incorrectly installed the MAKEMDL.EXE and FSModelExp.dle in the ..gmaxplugins folder. This was corrected when installing the FS2004 gmax gamepack. If the directions were not followed correctly, each time you started GMAX, an error indicated you had one two many MAKEMDL.exe installed since during GMAX start it looks in the ..gmaxplugins and the ..gmaxgamepacksfs2004plugins folders.I have four different gamepacks installed for GMAX, fs2002, fs2004, cfs3, and trainsim. Each has its own menu start selection. Each runs independently from the other. If you look at the gmax.ini and plugin.ini files supplied with each gamepack, you can see how the separation is accomplished.If you try adding a new gamepack, your setup may cause problems.W. Sieffert

The easiest way to install the gamepack is to just point the SDK installer to your GMax folder, everything will be put in the correct folder then.For the rest all steps you describe are correct, I assume everything is working now for you?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest DonMac

Hello W.Sieffert, Thank you for taking the time and trouble to read and reply to my posting. If I am guilty of giving out faulty or misleading info ('duff gen'), I apologize. My intention was to try to help people in a similar position to myself, not experts but enthusiasts who want to be able to manipulate the tools provided. Reading the postings on a forum such as the Avsim forums is not an easy task for some of us as a lot of the topics go way above our heads. In my effort I am trying to repay the very many talented and generous people who give so much to our hobby. I am always searching for their efforts because they give me so much pleasure and increase my understanding of these great programs albeit at a slow rate as age catches up! I have been with MS's Flight Sims for a long time and I have always wanted to be able to fly a plane since spending five plus years in the RAF during WW2. As I understand it gmax is a multi-applicable tool made so by gamepacks which are effectively applications which are coupled to gmax to allow it to function with that particular game. I am very grateful to Discreet for making gmax available. It is a marvellous program, not easy to learn but very rewarding as one progresses. As a result of re-reading your remarks I have restored makemdl.exe to gamepacksfs2004plugins and it still works OK. However I tried putting FSModelExp.dle there as well and nothing worked and so back to gmaxplugins it went and all works well.Incidentally, I do have another gamepack installed, Trainz from Auran, and that works fine. Thank you again for your comments.PS I have a horrible feeling that I have double posted - please forgive!

Guest DonMac

Thank you, Arno.You were very kind to me some considerable time ago in helping me with FSRegen to produce a library bgl and making API's for Airport. Much has happened since then. Thank you all is working well!

Hi Don,I suspect your FS2004 gamepack plugin.ini may not be correct:[Directories]Standard gmax plug-ins=StdPlugsAdditional gmax plug-ins=pluginsFS2004=gamepacksFS2004plugins[Help]Check to see if the last line is in your [Directories] section. If not, add the line, move FSModelExp.dle back to drive:gmaxgamepacksfs2004plugins and see if it fixes your problem.Also, are you using the correct FS2004 GMAX Icon or Menu item when you start GMAX. If not, GMAX will start as if it had no gamepacks and uses the default gmax.ini and plugin.ini files located in the drive:gmax folder.Using the FS2004 GMAX Icon or Menu item should point the gmax start routine to %GMAXLOC%Gmax.exe -i gamepacksFS2004gmax.ini -p gamepacksFS2004plugin.ini , where %GMAXLOC% is the diskdrive and folder where gmax is located, i.e., C:gmax.W. Sieffert

Guest DonMac

Hello again!Thanks again for the info you gave me in your last post. I've acted upon it and now have the files where you said they should be and it is working well. However I am rather confused with regards to the icons you mention. I start up gmax by clicking on the gmax icon (like a litle red man!) and I go into gmax and all works well. I take your point about starting gmax for fs2004 because my other program using gmax, Trainz, has its own icon on my desktop which opens up gmax with a completely different viewport arrangement. It gives its own option in the export dialogue besides Plasma whereas if I go into gmax with its own icon I get about 5 options including the Trainz option!I've searched my drives for an Fs icon with no joy. I should be grateful if you could tell me what this looks like and where to find it. I could then put your relevant suggestions into operation. Thank you again.

Hi Don,If you installed the FS2004_GMAX_SDK.EXE, it should have placed an FS2004 ICON on your desktop and possibly made a menu item. In any case, check the drive:gmaxgamepacksfs2004 folder for a shortcut with the GMAX Symbol but labelled FS2004.If you have the FS2002_GMAX_SDK installed also, you will find additional FS2002 shortcuts and files in the drive:gmaxgamepacksfs2004docs folder. Read the Installing the FS2004 GMax SDK over the FS2002 GMax SDK.rtf file in the drive:gmaxgamepacksfs2004. Read the entire file and don't make the files indicated, since MS already made the files. If you don't have the FS2002_GMAX_SDK installed, you don't need to do anything.W. Sieffert

Guest DonMac

Hello Mr? W.SieffertOnce again thank you. I found the icon to which you referred and installed and now I see the correct set-up. I've checked that it functions as it should by making a couple of small objects and placing them in the default Seattle scenery.In the problems I was having, I took my fs2002 off my machine in order to get something working. Can I now re-install it? I have plenty of disk space and several partitions.A change of topic. With the terrain sdk, is it possible to produce a ficticious island well away from normal traffic routes. I did this with AirportforWindows using ground polygons and produced an imaginary island at N45 W45 which is still in my my fs2004 and working quite well!I am not familiar with terrain meshes in the present context but in my Trainz program terrain meshes can be set up graphically. Many thanks again your invaluable help.

You can install fs2002 to your diskdrive. I had FS98, FS2000, and FS2002 on my diskdrive at one time.I only keep fs2002 on my diskdrive for helping others having problems, otherwise, I would remove it.Some designers are still using the fs2002_GMAX_sdk components, i.e., the FS2002 MAKEMDL.EXE and FSModelExp.dle (Note: These are different than the respective FS2004 versions) from the fs2002 Pro version.Yes the terrain.sdk is a start, but you might want to investigate SBuilder and Ground2K4, both are in the library. SBuilder also has an update from http://www.ptsim.com/downloads/sbxxx.zip but you need the basic version from the library. There is a tutorial for making an island. Search this forum for the location of the tutorial. Also visit this forum - http://www.ptsim.com/forum/default.asp .W. Sieffert

Guest DonMac

Thank you for your help. I regret that I am again in trouble!I have installed a new hard drive and in the process of transferring data I have lost the ability to compile xml files.If I run bglcomp via command I get an error message which says: Internal Compiler Error C1003 Failed to create MSXML Object.The compiler fails to produce a 'bgl' file.I have previously received warnings that the program could not load the MSXML4.dll but on reading a post in this forum I placed three MSXML4x.dll files in the fs2004 plugins folder and it seemed to accept them but I still cannot get bglcomp to produce a bgl!

I would try to install MSXML using the installer. Then BGLComp should work fine again. You can find the installer at the MS site.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

The msxml.msi is also available at http://www.airportforwindows.com/ along with SceneGenX and/or in the RWY12_V1.ZIP. It is essential that it be installed or neither MAKEMDL.EXE OR BGLCOMP.EXE will compile properly.The method you choose would mean placing those files in every folder needing the files vice having them installed and registered in your Windowssystem32 folder for use by all program requiring the files.W. Sieffert

Guest DonMac

Thank you gentlemen, Your very rapid response and replies are very much appreciated.I've spent the weekend trying to get this to work and now with your help and advice it is put right and working within minutes. Thanks again.