Sign in to follow this  
toprob

SBuilder photo scenery

I've always used Terrabuilder here, but for one project I have a funny-shaped image which would need to be blended with the default -- I know that SBuilder can do this, with the help of an alpha mask. I've made the mask, and everything seems to work ok -- I get a bunch of texture files, each with an alpha mask -- and a BGL file. Unfortunately the simulator crashes when I attempt to load this BGL. Any ideas what I'm missing here?

Have you placed the textures in the sceneryworldtexture folder? When using VTP polygons with the CUSTOM texture names they should be placed there. I made the same mistake when I tried it first and you indeed get crashes when you have not placed them there.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks, I thought that might be the solution, but SBuilder had in fact put the textures there. So I should have a BGL in my 'normal' scenery folder (with the airport etc) and the textures just in the worldtexture folder?The sim seems to have a good go at loading the textures -- it pauses for a long while when it get there, but always crashes.

Guest luissa

Hi,Is the BGL being copied into a scenery folder with a sister texture folder?Regards, Luis

Yes, I started with this combined with the airport scenery, but I've taken all the airport out until I get this working.

Ok, I've got this working, but I don't know what's going on here!I tried it without the alpha mask, and it worked fine. I then tried it with the alpha again, and it still crashed. However, using the BGL file from the version without the alpha, and the textures which include the alpha, it works! Weird, but it does the trick...

Guest luissa

>Yes, Hi,If "Yes" means that the BGL is in a folder with a sister texture folder, that could be the cause of the problem. Place the photo BGL in a SCENERY folder that has no TEXTURE folder aside. As with landclass BGLs.Regards, Luis

I think I had my test scenery placed in the Addon sceneryscenery folder, which of course also has a texture subfolder. And I did not have any crashes with that BGL once I placed the textures in the correct folder.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest luissa

Hi,As far as I can remember, creating a BGL with or without alpha results in the same file. The alpha selects the way bitmaps are generated.I am confused following Arno's post. Could you place the BGL in a folder without texture folder? Just to test! Please check:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchIn this last post I refer to crashes if I modify the VTP coordinates of the photo squares. It occurs to me that in version 2.03 I changed VTP coordinate formulae. Are you using 2.02 or 2.03?Regards, Luis

Hi Luis,I will check when I get home. But if my brain is not cheating on me I had placed the BGL file in a scenery folder that has a texture subfolder as well.I did this a few months ago, can't remember which version it was back then.

Arno

I'm using 2.02 -- I'll go looking for 2.03 and give it a go tonight.There is no difference if I remove the Texture folder.There is a difference between the scm files:Without Alpha:VTPTextureList( 1 "253" 1 0 0 4 )With AlphaVTPTextureList( 1 "252" 1 0 0 4 )

Guest luissa

Hi,I will revise SBuilder in this aspect. Clearly "252" is causing the crash. Here is the information from the SDK:252 Custom Texture with All Seasons253 Custom TextureYou probably set 2 boxes: Summer and Alpha. If that is so, FS crashes in Winter and all but the Summer season, when the BGL refers to 252.Sbuilder generates "252" if you set more than one check box (why I did it so?!). I know that if you want more than the Summer season you need all the rest, but I think Sbuilder should generate "253" if you set Summer and Alpha only! I also noticed that SBuilder accepts Alpha only (using "253") which is non sense! I will allow users to select Summer and Winter for example (without setting Spring and Fall) as you can have your custom seasons.bgl.So may be it is not worth to try 2.03 right now! If my assumptions are all right, you can keep the "253" BGL.Regards and thanks for the feedback, Luis

Thanks, that makes sense. I like it when the solution makes sense:)Now I can happily put together the seasonal/night textures.