Sign in to follow this  
arno

Good Grass Texture For Use At Airfields?

Is there a nice grass texture at a high resolution for grass around an airport. Since this is a flat area there is no need to follow mesh so something that could be used in a polygon would be good. Bad enough that we have blurred textures elsewhere but at the most visited areas - airfields - they should look decent.Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

When you are designing for Fs2004 I would still advice you to use VTP for the grass polygon. If you place it with a "old style" SCASM polygon all elements like runways, taxiways, etc you design in AFCAD will be hidden by it. To see those elements you must use a VTP polygon for the airport grass.If you do not intend to use these XML techniques and stay for everything at the pre-Fs2004 style, then you could use a higher resolution texture. I think you will have to make your own then.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Jeff Stanyer from Vic-Sim.com did a VTP tutorial some time back, for creating blended ground polys for a similar look to default airport polys. I have it, but not sure exactly where, but it gave a really helpful explanation to create them using AFW, SCASM, and BGLC. I dont know if this is a backward step, or would give as equivalent a result as any XML method.Try contacting Jeff through Vic-Sim for more infoRegardsBryan

>I have it, but not sure exactly where,>but it gave a really helpful explanation to create them using>AFW, SCASM, and BGLC. I dont know if this is a backward step,>or would give as equivalent a result as any XML method.No, it is still valid. Before there were tools like Ground2k and SBuilder we had to use conversion tools get convert ground polygons made with AFW, FSSC, etc to VTP. I guess that is the method this tutorial will explain. So you can still use it, although it might be easier to use one of the new design tools.One additional note, with XML you can not make mesh scenery. Mesh scenery is still made with the same tools as for Fs2002 (BGLC mainly). The XML methods are only used to make airports and place objects.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog