Sign in to follow this  
Guest FLEX_45

Problem adding night lights to a ground polygon

Guest FLEX_45

Hi guys,I have a problem with gmax v1.2 that is driving me crazy! I would really appreciate if anyone can shed some light on my problem! :-)I have to say that I am very new to gmax so I will need a dummy guide to solve my problem :-)And now to the problem.....I want to add some night lighting effects on the ground (more specificly to a default ground polygon used as apron in FS2004) as if there was a lighting pole above sheding the light directly down to the ground. That's all....no poles, no nothing...just the effect of light hitting the ground polygon from above! I have searched both the forum and the gmax help but I find bits and pieces here and there but whatever I try never shows in FS2004. :-(If I understand correctly it has to be done with the light_land command but I cannot make it work. I choose in gmax a target or free spotlight and edit the hotspot and falloff area and compile it as bgl but no luck in FS unfortunately.What I am looking for (since I believe my problem is as easy as 1,2,3 for most of you) is a step1, step2, step3 etc. guide in gmax on how to create this effect. I would really apprciate it guys! Thanks in advance,Marios P.S. I even tried the tutorial at http://thegreatptmd.tripod.com/ with no luck as well! :-(

Hi Marios,The light functions (spot light, etc) available in GMax are not supported by MakeMDL. So these have no result at all on your scenery.I assume you are using the Fs2004 gamepack? In that case you have a bit of a problem, as the LIGHT_LAND option seems to be broken in this gamepack. It worked correct in the Fs2002 gamepack, but in the Fs2004 gamepack it does not work anymore.This means that the only way to get lighting in Fs2004 is to use effects or switch to the old gamepack to use LAND_LIGHT again.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest FLEX_45

Hi Arno,Thanks for the quick reply. :-)As I said on my initial post, I am very new to scenery design, so I would be very thankfull if you could guide me a bit more on how to use the effects method for FS2004? A step 1,2,3 guide would be great if it is not so difficult procedure.Thanks once more,Marios.

Guest FLEX_45

One more thing Arno,Regarding the old gamepack....will it enable me to create this light effect in FS2004 as well or only in FS2002? Reading your post a second time, makes me wonder if you meant that I have to get back to the old gamepack to use light_land in FS2002 or FS2004 as well? If yes, can I download the old gamepack from a site or is it only on FS2002 Cds....because I don't have them :-)Many thanks and sorry for the dummy questions :-)Marios

>As I said on my initial post, I am very new to scenery design,>so I would be very thankfull if you could guide me a bit more>on how to use the effects method for FS2004? A step 1,2,3>guide would be great if it is not so difficult procedure.I don't really have a step plan to do it. The first step would be to find an appropriate effect file. After that you should be able to attach it in GMax to your object or place it with a piece of XML code in your scenery.>Regarding the old gamepack....will it enable me to create this>light effect in FS2004 as well or only in FS2002? Reading your>post a second time, makes me wonder if you meant that I have>to get back to the old gamepack to use light_land in FS2002 or>FS2004 as well? The scenery will be in the Fs2002 format then, but it still works in Fs2004 as well.>If yes, can I download the old gamepack from a site or is it>only on FS2002 Cds....because I don't have them :-)Humm, that is tricky. No, you can not download all files of the gamepack. I don't know if you can use the files of the Fs2004 gamepack instead for them.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest FLEX_45

Hi Arno,Thanks once more for the reply. :-)I have one more question, (if I don't start to get boring).....do I have to create my own fx files, or is there a site where I can download such light effects? I have searched avsim and flightsim with no luck.Thanks Marios

I think you should be able to find some suitable ones in the effect folder of FS. But I must say I am not yet an expert with effects either ;).

Arno

Guest FLEX_45

Hi arno,I will have a look in the effects folder. Thanks for the tip and the great help....you are the best ;-)Thanks Marios

Guest abent

Marios, I have a light set up on a striped pole that can be merged into a GMAX scene. Actually, ironically, I just got an email from someone requesting a light. I'd be happy to send it to you. It's zipped and sitting on my desktop. You could make any changes to it that you like.Email me directly if you would like to have the light.Adam

Guest FLEX_45

Hi Adam,Thank you very very much! You are helping me incredibly coz I still didn't manage to have a workaround with my problem! :-)I would definitely like to have the light, however I couldn't find your e-mail thru the forum....(I don't know if it is hidden by the system or I couldn't find it thought) :-lol but I used the send e-mail to user option instead without even getting to see your e-mail so I guess you didn't get the e-mail.My e-mail is m_anastasiou@yahoo.com When able please forward me the lights Adam....Many many thanks :-waveMarios