Sign in to follow this  
arno

SCASM seasonal texure question

Hi all,I've got a project that uses a photo texture grid in FSArchitect for the ground polys. It's generated a good grid and everything works fine, except that I'd also like to add some seasonal textures. Right now my code looks like this for an example grid:LoadBitmap( 0 24 0 0 0 0 eg58_ground_su0000.bmp ) Points( 0 -750 0 -750 -375 0 -750 -375 0 -375 -750 0 -375 ) TexPoly( 0 32767 0 0 0 0 0 1 255 0 2 255 255 3 0 255 )I'm not familiar at all w/SCASM -- could someone give me a quick pointer as to how I'd alter the above code to load seasonal textures instead of just the static summer ones?thanks,

Guest luissa

>LoadBitmap( 0 24 0 0 0 0 eg58_ground_su0000.bmp )Hello Bill,I would normally use:LoadBitmap( 0 5 EF 30 70 10 eg58_ground_su0000.bmp )for single season and:LoadBitmap( 0 WFS5 EF 30 70 10 eg58_ground_su0000.bmp )for several seasons. In the later case you need to add the 3 additional bitmaps to your texture folder. They have the same base name and a sufix _wi _fa and _sp (example eg58_ground_su0000_wi.bmp). Also note that the sequence 30 70 10 means a color. That color is used when the texture is not ready. If you change views very rapidly on a very detailed region, your ground will instantaneously appear as black because of the sequence 0 0 0 that you have on your original command.Hope that my information is correct.Kind Regards, Luis

Hi Bill,Just tick the relevant boxes for the wanted seasons/night in Architect Texture browser when you assign the texture.In the XXXXTEXTURE folder you will need a texture (DXT1) for every season you like to cover.That is for e.g night: YYY0000_lm.BMPFor Winter: YYY0000_wi.bmpFor Fall: YYY0000_fa.bmpFor Spring: YYY0000_sp.bmpand the base (summer texture) = YYY0000.bmpThe summer texture will be used in the seasons where you have not assigned any texture in the Architect Texture browser.The good thing with scasm phototextures is that you can assign textures only to the season (and night) you wish.This is not the case with BGLC generated photoscenery - then you can only choose between Summer only or full seasonal texturing thus generating a vast amount of Mb:s.The backdraw with scasm textures is that they are not mesh-following, but for smaller areas (or flatland) this does not matter much.Another, but solvable problem with scasm textures, is when there are waterareas, you then must assign water as LandClass under the tiles and make the bitmaps transparent where the water is.If you visit Martin Wrights website you can d/l his "bmp crop" tool that will autogenerate all needed bitmaps from a large one for use with Architect.Best,Bjorn

Thanks for your replies, guys, they're very helpful. And yes Bjorn, I know the photo texture grids can only be used on flat surfaces... pity, but maybe MS will give us higher res mesh clinging ground patches soon. A boy can dream anyway ;-). Anyway, I'm off to try these suggestions!thanks,

>Another, but solvable problem with scasm textures, is when>there are waterareas, you then must assign water as LandClass>under the tiles and make the bitmaps transparent where the>water is.You could also just place a LWM water polygon below your photo, then there is no need to alter the landclass.There is one other drawback of the seasonal changing with the LoadBitmap command. The seasons do change in block of exactly 3 months. But in the mesh scenery the seasonal changes are different for each part of the world (in the north the winters are longer, etc). So if you want to let your photo match the seasonal changes of the mesh scenery around it, you would have to check the day of the year variable and switch the textures on that. Of course you also need to figure out the days at which the seasons change in your area of course.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog