Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Norfolk Island (YSNF) Surrounding Terrain Problem

A post on the FLIGHTSIM Scenery Design forum asked about all the water around YSNF. I took a look at it, and since I am a novice terrain scenery understandee, couldn't figure out what is wrong with the terrain. The problem is the same in FS2002 and FS2004.If one of you wise terrain scenery wizards to take a look at this problem and define what was needed to correct it, I would appreciate.W. Sieffert

Looks like a landclass problem. I opened the area with LWMViewer and it seems the center of the island has ocean set as landclass. Defining a correct landclass type there should work as a fix.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno,When I open the xx992420.bgl(s) and de120n00.bgl, I don't understand where you see the center of the island having ocean set as landclass. What file is controlling those values? I have exported HL and HP files in hopes I could spot the problem. Now I have to assume the problem is not in either these files.I also noticed that de120n00.bgl seems not to be associated with the actual Norfolk Island. I download nswsrtm1.exe through m4.exe which gives a new mesh for Norfolk Island. It shows in LWMViewer in the correct location while de120n00 is to the right of the island. I am wondering if MS made a mistake on the elevation data in de120n00.

Hi Arno and Dick,I loaded Russell Dirks EZLC2 and followed the directions. I used a #2 texture as a test to see what I did. It didn't turn out half-bad. I don't know if I understand what I did, but it covered the inland ocean.I also installed (reactivated) nswsrtm1.exe through m4.exe which gave the island some mountains and hills.Dick, it seems your file adds more autogen then the texture I picked. I assume this area of the world may have dense luscious forests.W. Sieffert

Guest GCBarni

RE: wsiefert's last comment<< I am wondering if MS made a mistake on the elevation data in de120n00. >>Surely you jest, sir!!

I thing there must have been volcanic activity that moved the elevation data to the EAST! :-lolEither that or the island slipped to the WEST!In any case, Dick's update and nswsrtm1.exe through m4.exe really spruces up the island.W. Sieffert

Thanks for the url! With the fixes, someone from that area needs to add more color to the airport and surrounding island area.W. Sieffert