Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Conditional Animation Tool

I have the ESDG_Hanger compiled properly with the FS9 MakeMDL.exe and am able to place it anywhere through the .XML lat/lon/hdg entries.Now I need to add the "Conditional Animation..."I moved the .asm and 0.asm files to my CAT folder and ran CAT.exe (the FS9 beta version), entered the needed parameters/conditions, and it politely generates a new ESDG_hanger.MDL via the latest BGLC.exe...Here is where things go south quickly!Moving the new "CAT conditioned .MDL" file back to where I originally started, I try to compile a new .BGL by dragging my ESDG_hanger.XML file over BGLCOMP.exe. The compiler produces a new, properly placed .BGL file which FS9 will not load, citing a "g3d.dll" error...Where am I going wrong? :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Humm, good question :).When you copied the new MDL file did you name it like the old? The file CAT makes does not have the same name as the one mentioned in your XML file of course.Also did you notice a strange change in file size?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

>Humm, good question :).>>When you copied the new MDL file did you name it like the old?>The file CAT makes does not have the same name as the one>mentioned in your XML file of course.>>Also did you notice a strange change in file size?Arno,The new .mdl file was named ESDG_hanger_cat.MDLThe .XML file points to the new filename.When BGLcomp.exe creates a new .BGL file, the file size looks about right, but FS9 will choke up while "Adjusting Scenery" during load, and exit with the "g3d.dll" error message.I about exhausted!However, I tried to simply create a new .MDL using BGLC_9.exe without making any CAT changes, and the same error results when generating a new .BGL from the result.This leads me to believe that there's a problem with the BGLC_9.exe program BTW, it has a very OLD file date of 03/03/2002, so perhaps it's outdated? It is the one included in your CAT beta download... ???

Fr. Bill    

My version of BGLC_9 indeed also has that old date, but I never had trouble with it.Let me think....What did you apply to your animation? Just a trigger or more special stuff?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

>My version of BGLC_9 indeed also has that old date, but I>never had trouble with it.>>Let me think....>>What did you apply to your animation? Just a trigger or more>special stuff?Basically, the same conditions I used in the FS2k2 compiled version:1st condition of Distance from Origin, 0 to 1000Animation condition, NAV2 @ 1200h, 1200h

Fr. Bill    

All sounds correct. Can you maybe sent me the source code? I might be able to solve it from there.

Arno

>All sounds correct. Can you maybe sent me the source code? I>might be able to solve it from there.Surething! Here is the "untouched" .xml, .asm, and 0.asm files:

Fr. Bill    

Hmmm... I just had a thought. I've used some very specific FS9 features in this .mdl using the "Attach Point" tool. I've added an fx_beacon, three Light Poles, and made the hanger floor "landable."Do you suppose that BGLC_9.exe isn't able to handle these features??

Fr. Bill    

Hi Bill,I had a look at the files and it must be because the SCEN table is getting to big. We encountered such crashes before with big MDL files, but it seems it is not the MDL size but the size of the SCEN table that counts.You table is already very long before CAT tweaks it (over 100 entries), I have never seen them that long. Are you using a lot of linked or attached objects?

Arno

>Do you suppose that BGLC_9.exe isn't able to handle these>features??Yes, it can handle them. That is the whole point of using BGLC_9 instead of BGLC :).But I think by adding all those elements you have made the SCEN table too big for CAT to handle (see my other reply).

Arno

>Hi Bill,>>I had a look at the files and it must be because the SCEN>table is getting to big. We encountered such crashes before>with big MDL files, but it seems it is not the MDL size but>the size of the SCEN table that counts.>>You table is already very long before CAT tweaks it (over 100>entries), I have never seen them that long. Are you using a>lot of linked or attached objects?Regarding the Attach Points, I already tested that after writing. I don't have very many links, but perhaps I can simplify it some more. There are only four "attach points" used, one beacon fx, three LightPoles, and a "hardened floor."I'll keep at it, perhaps I'll get lucky...My ultimate goal is to have the office and hanger as separate Library objects that are Rwny12 compatible, so it will be easier for folks to use... But, before that can happen, I have to get the animation sorted out. :)

Fr. Bill    

Hi Bill,Maybe it is not the attached objects then, but the SCEN list contains over 100 items in your case (in principe each attached object should give one, plus a few for the animation).Do you maybe have a lot of dummy objects or other links? It would be better to remove those.

Arno

>Do you maybe have a lot of dummy objects or other links? It>would be better to remove those.I just removed the office entirely, and removed about 80 linked objects and linked them all the the top level dummy node.The only remaining linked objects are the two doors, and the door windows.It still generates the same "g3d.dll" error on FS9 after animation and recompiling.

Fr. Bill    

Guest nickw

Hi Bill,Arno asked me to take a look at the thread.The dummy object may be the issue and may not be required. I have looked at a screen shot that arno sent me.I am happy to take a look at the GMAX file for you if you want. nick (at) ifsd.ieIn the mean time, can you explain how these items have been linked? Is the pivot at the top of each door? If so, only one link is required.

Guest nickw

Here... I threw this together as an example.This has 6 SCEN entries. Have a go.