Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Converting from WGS-84 to FS2004 lat/lon???

Guest drfrankencopter

Hi,Great forum you've got here. I am attempting to use FS2004 for data playback and visualization for an experimental helicopter. In order to make this useful I need to very accurately place objects (in particular traffic cones, one road, and a fence-line). I have the results of a high precision survey in WGS-84 lat/lon/altitude, but have recently read in the Terrain SDK that the format that microsoft uses for lat/long positioning of objects is not necessarily WGS-84. Is there a utility out that can convert between the formats (source code would be preferable as I have a number of coordinates to convert)?Thanks,Kris

Hi Kris.I've never read that. As far as I know LAT-LONG projection ( Geographic ) with a WGS84 Datum is exactly what FS uses.Exactly what document and page did you find that?Dick

Guest drfrankencopter

In the "Creating Terrain and Land Classification Guide" from microsofts Terrain SDK on page 18:"One of the most powerful features of BGL is that everything is based on a world coordinate system that is spherical and very much like latitude/longitude. In Flight Simulator, the earth is defined as an

Hello Kris,the document "Using Textured Ground Polygons and Land/Water Mask Polygons" from the same SDK states in the beginning:"Throughout this document, all latitude and longitude references are assumed to use the WGS84 geoid."Hope this helps,Edgar