Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

GMAX x files

Gentlemen,As I am attempting to learn the nuances of GMAX, I have realized that even though I can create basic objects and export them successfully to a viewable BGL file, I am unable to create a source file with a "X" extension for further massaging. What configuration item am I missing?

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Hi Mike.Your best bet is MDLCommander:http://hometown.aol.de/_ht_a/docmoriarty3/...mmander_dl.htmlBut I'm not sure access to the X files will do you any good. Most tweaking would be done to the ASM files. MDLCommander will help save these as well.For FS9, you'll need BGLC_9 to compile the code. You should probably check out Arno's website:http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/index.php?You'll fing BGLC_9 and a lot of info there.Dick

Or have a look at this article:http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98It should describe all steps needed to get started with source code tweaking.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

>Gentlemen,>>As I am attempting to learn the nuances of GMAX, I have>realized that even though I can create basic objects and>export them successfully to a viewable BGL file, I am unable>to create a source file with a "X" extension for further>massaging. What configuration item am I missing?>Mike, didn't I send you my "Plug-n-Play" set up? All you need to do is check off the "Save Files" option in MiddleMan and your .x files will be saved... in fact you can also check off the "No Compile" box to stop MakeMDL from compiling... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I made progress last night. Somewhere in the process I had pluggins installed in both the GMAXPLUGIN and the GamepackPlugin directories. When I cleaned out the GMAXPlugin directory, the files of which you gentlemen speak started appearing apropriately.Thanks

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Thanks, I got the zip and it is already installed. As I told Arno, I had pluggins installed in two places. Once I cleaned the GMAXPluggin directory, things seem to be going much smoother. Your and Arno's help and patience are much appreciated.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

>Thanks, I got the zip and it is already installed. As I told>Arno, I had pluggins installed in two places. Once I cleaned>the GMAXPluggin directory, things seem to be going much>smoother. Your and Arno's help and patience are much>appreciated.Da nada, Mike! Indeed, the "new" arrangement for maintaining both FS2002 and FS2004 SDK's in the same GMax program has caused a fair share of confusion... :)I'm delighted you got it sorted out. That's why I specified the PRECISE path to install the "Plug-n-Play" kit.

Fr. Bill    

Ok, Uncle, Uncle!!!I am still spinning my wheels. I created a simple box and attached a texture. As I try to export this to my FS9 directory of choice, using the plugin files you sent me, makemdl is locking up on me and not saving or formatting anything. This is happening even after a total reinstall of GMAX and the gamepack SDK and the plugin files you sent me. I get to the page in MDLCommander to make selections and then it grinds to a halt. If it weren't for a generous bit of tenacity, I would throw hands in air and holler "to heck with this". However, I have enjoyed scenery design since FS4 and hesitate to throw in the towel yet. I know there is something obnoxiously simple that I am missing about files and configs. Attached is the raw *.gmax file to see if there might be a basic flaw with it.Any ideas are graciously appreciated.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Hi Mike.Your gmax file attachment is garbled, as it was sent as a text file. Why not zip it and attach it to a post as a zip file?Dick

Dick,Unfortunately, AVSIM won't allow me to attache the 12K zip file even though system allows me to log in. Oh, well. I can't imagine the gmax file is the problem but is part of the elimination process.I think what I am missing is that it appears to me that MakeMDL wants an X file and for what ever reason, my GMAX is not creating this in the export process. It may be creating it temporarily but when MadeMDL stops and prompts for imput file, since I can't browse and find it all is lost.Thanks for the help!

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

>I think what I am missing is that it appears to me that>MakeMDL wants an X file and for what ever reason, my GMAX is>not creating this in the export process. It may be creating>it temporarily but when MadeMDL stops and prompts for imput>file, since I can't browse and find it all is lost.Try Selecting ALL objects and then exporting as "Export Selected." For some reason, occasionally the simple "Export" doesn't always work as expected... :(

Fr. Bill