Sign in to follow this  
Cessnaflyer

Placing objects with FSDS2?

I have been making a few objects within FSDS2 and would like to place them now where I want them. My process so far is to make a place folder in the Addon section with the subfolders for scenery and their textures. I created the objects in FSDS and set the location within the Area block of the project properties. Then I set the range to 32. Set the reference point to 7 with a scale of 0.02 and an elevation of 1644.548 meters for the mountainous area I am placing it. I am also using Area Type 5 (NEAR/FAR)What am I doing wrong after I save the .bgl into the scenery folder I created? Almost forgot to say I also made a new layer in the scenery library for the area I am creating.

Guest sapper42

For closer placement if you use the Lat Lon co-ords from FS, edit your FS9.cfg file to show an additional 2 decimal points in the seconds.To do this, open your FS9.cfg file ( C:Documents and SettingsYOURNAMEApplication DataMicrosoftFS9 ) and edit the line :- [MAIN]DISPLAY_FRACTIONAL_MINUTES=1 to [MAIN]DISPLAY_FRACTIONAL_MINUTES=0and save, this will give you greater accuracy for object placement.Another way is to use " tcalc_0.zip " available here in the Downloads by Dick Ludowise !In the Project properties:Type = 7Scale =0.1Elevation = Your desired elevationArea Type = 6 is sufficientRange= 20 km is sufficientAlltho the last 2 points will be more of a personal preferance. as you get to understand SCASM you will be able to further hand edit this as you will export as a SCA file instead of a BGL and later compile the SCA file with SCASM.exe for the desired BGL.When you compile from FSDS to BGL ( direct ), save the BGL file in the Scenery Folder of the Project your working on and add it to FS via the Addon Scenery setting. Once you restart FS your object should be there.As for creation of the Object in FSDS, use real world measurments, dont scale it down .Allso remove the tick for Crash detection as this only ends up annoying you as the crash detection code isnt the best.rgds Jeff

Hi Jeff.I recommend tcalc_v2.zip from AVSIM. It has a better placement formula. It gives not only position but accurate true heading as well.Dick

What is your problem actually? From your post it is not clear if the objects simply do not appear or if they appear at the wrong position?In many cases it is also easier to save your objects as an API macro from FSDS and then place that macro at the position you want. You could for example use ObPlacer (available from my website) that allows you to slew around the scenery and place the macros at the current position of your aircraft.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I guess the problem is the object not apearing at all. I have slewed around the general area it should be but it doesn't show up. I should probably try to make the object appear outside of mountainous terran first. I'll try that program and report back.Thanks everyone!

As you write you have used RefPoint type 7, that means that your object will get the altitude of the terrain automatically. So I do not expect the mountains should be a problem.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

even with 2nd party mesh? I have had problems finding solid spots in some areas.

Normally yes. But only when it is designed using the MS techniques. If you report problems in finding hard spots it might be that the mesh is designed in a different way.

Arno

Guest Larry S

Forgive me if I tell you what you already know or have done, just trying to cover all the bases.After you put the coordinates in the area block, you have to click "auto" in the scenery file header section above. That sets the coordinates for where the scenery is loaded, or you could say what area it is visable from. I've placed objects in say Denver, and left the scenery file header for Seattle. You'll never see it in the sim.If you're using type 7 relative, you don't need to enter an elevation, it will put it at ground level. Use the grid feature. The lighter horizontal line is ground level. If the object is below it, it will be buried underground. For the soft spots in the terrain, you can move the object above the horizontal line until it looks like it's showing right ( make it float above the soft spot).Hope one of these helps.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/98988.jpg

Yep I have it in the positve Y section. Been busy writing a history paper so it will take a little longer then expected to take a run at it again :)