Sign in to follow this  
Guest FLEX_45

Buildings' Texture Size VS FS2004 Performance

Guest FLEX_45

Hi guys,I have a straight forward question for most of you ;-)If I have a 3D shape made in gmax and I want to texture let's say the 4 faces of it, is it better (in terms of FS2004 performance) to use 4 256x256 textures (ie. one texture file for each face) or 1 512x512 texture file including all 4 faces in it?ThanksMarios

That is a tricky question. I think nobody has tested this enough to have a good answer. I think it is better to use one texture, as only one file needs to be loaded from your HD in that case. This should be better for your performance.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hello Marios,This whole texture business needs testing, so that we can finally settle the question of which has more impact on frame rates: textures or tripolygons.In this case, however, four 256x256 pixel textures are the same as a single 512x512 pixel texture. They are the same final dimensions, the same size in total kilobytes. Probably, the loading time is not a significant issue with just 4 textures. So, frame rates should be identical. Why don't you test it and let us know?Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis,Yes, I agree that for one objects it would probably make such a small difference that we can hardly test it.So if we want to really test this we must place enough objects, using enough unique textures, to really see a difference.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest FLEX_45

Hi guys,Thanks for the replies. :-)Definitely the scenery will have many more buildings....the 4 textures were just a theoretical example to setup the scenario. So I will go on and try arno's method using 256x256 textures and let you know as soon as I have something remarkable ;-)ThanksMarios