Sign in to follow this  
Guest Claviateur

Airport Ground Layout using Gmax

Guest Claviateur

I was planning to create a ground layout for the airport using gmax. In gmax. I have a big image for the airport layout but this will make it huge to load in FS as one piece.Is there a way to map this image using slices on the Gmax ground layout surface or any other idea?ThanksMichel

Do you want to slice the image into parts or do you just want to apply it to different polygons in GMax?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Claviateur

This is the question :) I create the layout in gmax as a planner surface now I have the choice between slicing this surface into many faces or create one face... Gmax lags like hell when I apply the image material on the planner surface I created so it is not workable. I believe I have no choice to slice it I guess!Michel

Hi Michel,When you say layout do you mean that you are placing the photo under your scenery or are you drwaing each apron and taxiway as a polygon in GMax?If the performance of GMax is going down that much I guess you must be using a big image for it :) Slicing is probably the only option then.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest Claviateur

I did a fast photoshop drawing showing what I am planning to do in Gmax (plz see attachement). A layout with a thickness to simulate the elevation of the airport ground and on top of this 3D structure I want to map the image. But I think you are right, the whole thing could be slices into pieces and the structure divided into faces?If I can simulate sloping runways why not but I think FS and slopes is not a good mix since the aircraft dymamics are not designed for slopes... Not mentioning that taxying on smooth straight surfaces is already a pain ;)Cheers!Michel

Hi Michel,Ah, now it starts to make sense :). I would indeed cut it into a few pieces. I would try to make the textures as large as possible (1024x1024 for example) and then cut your 3D structure till they match the textures.Do you have a mesh scenery below this to match the altitude or did you place to use the Fs2004 platforms to let you land on this? You could also use these to make a sloped runway btw.

Arno

Interesting but how do you create a hard surface to land on?Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

That's very simple with the attachtool script of the Fs2004 gamepack, it has an option platform.

Arno

Guest Claviateur

That's right Arno, I will see if the slopes will make sense in FS as for A/C behavior otherwise it will be a flat platform :)Thanks for the tipsMichel