Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chief_Parrothead

Fuzzy textures....

Guest Chief_Parrothead

OK, I posted the same question over at Arnos forum, but I thought I might post it here as well in case you didnt see it over there...I have redesigned some of our club scenery in GMAX. The problem comes with fuzzy textures. When I load up the new scenery, the textures appear clear for a few seconds, then go fuzzy, http://www.margaritaair.com/uploads/main//uploads/fuzzy1.jpghttp://www.margaritaair.com/uploads/main//uploads/fuzzy2.jpg Then clear up again after a few more seconds. I thought originally that it was a texture issue for the new scenery. All textures are stored in DXT1 format. Then I thought it was a landclass issue. So I removed the landclass bgl and the problem persists.Then I thought it was a GMAX object issue. In order to isolate the offending object, I removed all bgls except the landclass and flatten bgls and and the problem appears to go away. I tested the scenery for several minutes and no problems. So I added the library.bgl back first - no problem. But as soon as I add back the first GMAX object, the problem comes back.Now I am not a genius at GMAX, but I know that all of my objects cannot be flawed! Anyone have any ideas? If you need to see the file, you can download it from http://www.margaritaair.com/downloads/TMACfs10.zipCan also share the GMAX source files with anyone who needs them.Thanks

Hi,How did you place your GMax objects and which gamepack of GMax are you using? Maybe that leads to an answer of the problem.Also, how big is the blurred area? Is it just 100 meter around you objects or are we speaking about miles?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Chief_Parrothead

I placed the GMAX objects by hand-coding the xml file.EXAMPLE of an xml file:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>Using the current GMAX and BGLCOMP SDK for FS2004.As for the size of the area, not exactly sure, but it appears to be about a mile in any direction.Thanks!

Guest GCBarni

Well, I installed your set of files, but couldn't locate or discover how to actually "get to" TMAC. No link shows in either Go to menu. Thus, I'm unable to check your scenery out in FS itself.However, upon looking at the files in their folders, I spot one called TMACLC.bgl in the Scenery Folder. If this is supposed to be the landclass texture change, then this file should be in a separate Scenery Folder, remote from the rest of TMAC and without a Texture Folder. Including landclass files in a folder system which includes a Texture Folder can cause weird and wonderful displays in FS!

Guest GCBarni

OK, I loaded the Afcad file into Afcad, the program, to get the coordinates and lo and behold, it turns out that according to the properties list, TMAC is in the British Virgin Islands!! Putting that into your doc's would have saved some time.Anyway, I installed your files the way _I_ install my own scenery: that is, as separate folders under the Main FS Scenery Folder. And I see no anomalies, despite any landclass that you may have included being in the same scenery folder as all other *.bgl files. Everything looks normal.I suspect you have another file somewhere that is in conflict. This can happen when doing design, especially if you have versions or editions of your scenery for previous FS years.

Guest Chief_Parrothead

Well, I completely removed the previos versions of TMAC (the macro - designed versions). Those files don't even reside on the hard drive any longer, and I have had comments from other club members who did not have the older files installed, so I dont think it is a conflict issue with previous versions. Also, that would not explain why it only occurs when I add GMAX objects.Have not tried to remove the landclass to a seperate folder....I have never had a problem with this before. Plus as I stated earlier, with only the landlcass bgl in the scenery folder, and keeping all textures in the texture folder, I get no problem.Still puzzled....

Guest GCBarni

If its only some other members who are experiencing the problems, then perhaps it is their system of folders and / or conflicting files that are causing the trouble in the first place.....it might not be of your doing at all.As I said, I can see no problems at all with your objects or their textures....I can even read the script on the signs and buildings, etc.

Guest Chief_Parrothead

Thanks for the help...I am going to try to install the file under the main scenery folder and see if that helps. I will also try moving the landclass into a seperate folder.Thanks again!

Guest GCBarni

When I mentioned the landclass in one of my earlier replies, you never confirmed if I had it right or not. And if that file _is_ the landclass *.bgl, I never moved it from your scenery folder. In other words, I installed your scenery folder as is. And still, I see no problems! That is rather strange in itself aside from the so-called 'fuzzy' texture problem.

Guest Chief_Parrothead

Yes the MACLC.bgl _is_ the landclass bgl.....I have moved the landclass bgl to the addon scenery/scenery folder and still get the same problem.I also moved the entire TMACFS10 file to the main scenery file and get the same problem.Very puzzled. Since it appears as soon as I add the first GMAX object, could it be a texture mapping issue with all of my GMAX objects?

Guest GCBarni

I'm not familiar with Gmax object design....I use EOD and FSDS which create *.api's rather than *.mdl's. I have used SceneGenX for placement of default *.xml objects, but these of course use default textures.Question: with respect to the copy of the scenery that you linked to above and which I downloaded and tested, is it using Gmax *.mdl library or *.api objects?

I guess this must be some sort of hardware related problem. I remember an problem from some time ago, where another designer had a similar problem. I took a look at my PC then and could not find anything. I don't know if an answer was found.Just to test it, if you just make a simple cube with a texture in GMax and place it in the scenery, does that already give you the trouble?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Chief_Parrothead

To answer one question....yes all the objects are GMAX created and mdl based objects.To anser Arno, I'm not sure....I will try it again tonight and see. One thing I did find when I went back into GMAX to look at my source files was that there were several objects where there were extra materials, or materials/textures included in the material editor that were not attached to a part. I started deleting these and recreating the mdl for these objects. Too early to tell if this is a potential cause or not. Once I have corrected a few, I will place only those objects in the scene and see if the problem still persists.Thanks everyone....I'll let you know what I find (if anything).

Guest bobsk8

I have a simliar problem and have very little add on scenery except commercial scenery like Misty Fjords. I find that if I switch from full Screen to windowed mode, in windowed mode the problem straightens out. Back to full screen, and problem is back. It looks just like your pictures. I have a 1 month old Dell 8400 3.4 Gig, with a Nvidia 6800 GT 256 Meg PCI express graphics card. I also find that if a reslect the aircraft, the textures will go back to normal for sometimes as long as a day or two. See my post on the Hardware MSFS forum on this web site.