Sign in to follow this  
Holger

Any way to have cliff textures not showing on big slope...

Guest ps76

HiJust wanted to know if anyone knows a way to get any fs9 ground textures / landclass so that the brown cliff textures don't show on big slopes. Was trying to do some mountainous jungle scenery and would really like to turn this feature off in this case if possible. Am happy to alter any cfg files / use different landclasses etc.Thanks for any help / infoPierre

Guest luissa

Hello Pierre,I also would be very interested to know. May be someone who has already test all land class indexes could answer this. My limited experience is that there are some classes that do not trigger the cliffs. Example class = 10. For detailed meshes (LOD 9 or 10) the cliffs tend to "destroy" the mesh.Kind Regards, Luis

Howdy,there are very few texture classes that don't switch to the 056* cliff texture at steeper slopes (~40 degrees) and most of those have limited seasonal variation or just a single texture (rather than seven blended tiles). Arnaud Cl

Guest ps76

Hi,Thanks for the info. Will definitely look into it and hopefully my problem will be fixed. Was thinking an hour or so ago that maybe I could use polygons over the mesh with specific textures (I guess like the photo scenery is done?) for the bits where I'm having problems.On another note just to say thanks for all the great info Holger (and others) that I've got from this forum. I'm pretty much making scenery the 'Holger' way (ie. followed the "free background ground2k bitmaps" post) and it's generally really impressed my how easy it is to get results with that and some Fsdem mesh.ThanksPierre

I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you changeTERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1toTERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=0It will turn off the cliff textures.Matt

Guest ps76

Hi,Thanks for the info. Have tried the fs9.cfg change of terrain_use_gradient_map a while ago but for some reason it didn't make any difference on the game back then. However, will try again because I can't figure out why that wouldn't work when it seems to be exactly what I need.ThanksPierre

Guest luissa

Hi,I tried that and it also did not work. I only tested once!Luis

>>Hi,>>I tried that and it also did not work. I only tested once!>>Luis....why I said I wasn't 100% sure :) I just remember hearing that somewhere, but never tested it myself.Matt