Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cameron

Decompiling BGL's

Guest Cameron

Hello,I am trying to get rid of a static aircraft object in a scenery I downloaded, and I am wondering if it's possible to decompile a BGL and see what models are within the file. I have tried the XML program, but it tells me that there is no facilities data...I am at a loss here.So, is there a way I can at least get a list of what is within a .BGL file?Thanks!

Hi Cameron,I guess it is an old style (non-Fs2004) BGL in that case, the XML decompilers do not work with these. You could give BGLAnalyzer a try, but you need to be a bit familiar with SCASM code to be able to find the static aircraft in the source code that is returned.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Cameron

Arno,I don't know the first thing about sca files. I have exported it, but don't know what to do from here...

Hi Cameron,If you know the textures used by the static aircraft, you might be able to search the source code for that. If you then remove all code between an Area and an EndA command (where the texture name appears) you should be able to remove your static.An easier solution might be to just ask the author of the scenery and ask him to send you a new BGL or make a seperate BGL for the static. Have you tried that already?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hello Cameron,I seem to remember from way back that there was a utility in the library that did just this: it would search the bgl for the offending static airplane and remove it by reference to its textures. This was supposed to be an effective way to do what you want.Very sorry, I do not remember either the name of the utility or of its author, and no longer have it.Best regards.Luis

Guest jzax

Yes, the utility is called "Remover", you can still find it in www.scenery.orgregardsJoaquin

Guest Cameron

This program doesn't seem to be doing the trick...It searches the BGL that I KNOW the model is in, and doesn't even delete it...