Sign in to follow this  
arno

Mod of default airports

Guest chris_kirk

I fly from EIWT, Weston Airfield, Co Kildare in Ireland. Since this airfield is currently undergoing a substantial expansion the FS9 default version no longer bares much resemblance to the real thing. As there is no good downloadable version I decided to have a go myself.Using SceneGenX I created an exclude rectangle and laid out the runways and taxiways as they now appear. There used to be runway 07/25 (asphalt) and runway 18/36 (grass). 18/36 has been removed and replaced with a grass strip running parallel to the (now extended) asphalt runway. My new scenery reflects this change but FS still shows a textured area where the old grass runway used to be and also underneath the extended asphalt one. How can I get rid of these textures?To demonstrate what I mean look at the picture below. I created a new BGL that deleted ALL runways, taxiways etc and contained nothing but an exclusion rectangle around the airfield. You can clearly see the texturing where FS9 thinks the runways should be... this is what I want to remove.Many thanks for your time,Chris Kirkhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/100019.jpg

Hi Chris,It is not very clear from your picture, but I think what you see is the VTP grass polygon of the airport. To remove this you need to make a VTP exclude, for example with DefArea. If you also want to place a new VTP polygon matching your new layout you could also try a program like Ground2k4 or SBuilder.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I'm assuming that you are designing for FS9. In that case, all the visible runways, taxiways and aprons are generated by the airport facility file.It would be much faster and far easier to simply use AFCAD2 to create a completely new runways, taxiways, and aprons for your project.Then you can use your other tools to refine the visual scenery. The advantage of this method is that the "old airport" will automatically cease to exist, eliminating the need to "flatten," or "hide" anything, except the existing "visual buildings" etc... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

SGX creates similar code to AFCAD2 and does thus also remove the total old airport. Even AFCAD can not remove the VTP polygons btw :D.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest chris_kirk

Thank you all for your help. DefArea did the job of removing the old VTP polys, now I need to figure out how to get SBuilder to create new ones. Doesn't seem to want to compile a BGL, only a SCM. Is it normal to have to use about 15 different software tools to create one relatively simple scenery project, or am I just a blundering idiot?!?Chris Kirk

SBuilder should give you a BGL when you press the compile button. The SCM file is the source for SCASM (latest beta version of SCASM is used).About the tools. Unfortunately there is not one tool that can do any scenery elements. So basically you need at least three tools. One to make your 3D objects, one to make airports and another one to do the mesh/ground scenery elements.

Arno

Guest chris_kirk

Arno,"The SCM file is the source for SCASM": Yes, I didn't RTFM properly until about 20 seconds after I made my last post. SCASM now installed and a working BGL created. Thank you again for your help.I think it would be an excellent idea if, at the next release of FS, MS also make available a release version of the software THEY use for scenery creation. I am finding it incredibly frustrating creating this simple scenery, and my admiration for those who create workable scenery, whether freeware or payware, has multiplied ten-fold!Thanks again,Chris Kirk

Hi Chris,>I think it would be an excellent idea if, at the next release>of FS, MS also make available a release version of the>software THEY use for scenery creation. I am finding it>incredibly frustrating creating this simple scenery, and my>admiration for those who create workable scenery, whether>freeware or payware, has multiplied ten-fold!Yes, that would indeed be fine. But on the other hand I am not sure if they have really user friendly tools. It could very well be that they use a set of different tools like us and as most are probably programmers it might be that they do a lot with source code tweaking as well :D.

Arno