Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

what is the relationship between afcad files and atc?

Guest pwal

hi,i dont know much about the programming of fs. i think i might be interested in altering the default atc to allow use of real world approaches/departures. has anyone done this? or is this the right forum? i know this may be a challenge, i dont know a lot of code, but i am familiar with some of the older languages, as well as actionscript 2. i'm pretty sure i can pick up the programming - maybe a bit slowly. it seems like altering the atc would just require a series of if/then statements and some learning about how the voice works. anyone feel like telling me this is ridiculous and its far more complex? how would i approach learning more about this. - it seems like it would be a great thing for the semi-casual simmer who is learning, or doesnt want to #### people off on vatsim when they mess up?

Hi,The approaches for the airports are defined in the AFD files. You can adjust them with the XML code, which is described in the BGLComp SDK. That way you should be able to add or adjust approaches for the airport you want.The ATC itself can not be changed, that is hardcoded in the sim. You can add voices if you want, there is a SDK about that if I remember correct.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Well, this is the wrong forum, but just for information's sake here is my reply... :)FS9.exe is a C program, and all we are provided are preset "hooks" into the sim's engine, which are described (poorly) in the numerous SDKs.Most of what may be done is accomplished via .dll files (dynamic link libraries). None of the ATC is addressable, so yes... it is "far more complex" than what you may have imagined... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

AFCAD doesn't include the ability to make approaches. It can add an ILS to a runway, but ATC will direct an aircraft to that runway as a visual approach until an approach is written. As indicated in Arno's post, one has to write the approach for a new runway manually at this time.W. Sieffert