Sign in to follow this  
Guest GCBarni

BMP Files from TCalc

Guest GCBarni

On a recent project while using TCalc, I noticed what appear to be terrain description files with long numbers and *.bmp extension in the lower part of the pane. I assume these relate to *.agn, and landclass etc., for that particular cell. Upon searching for them, none shows up of course, so I pose a stupid question: where or how _do_ they originate?

These are the filenames if you use custom photo textures. The autogen uses the same name in that case.If you do not have a custom photo scenery installed, these files indeed will not be there.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest GCBarni

After some more playing with TCalc and MS running together, I've discovered that each red square in Cellgrid seems to represent or be covered by one of these long-named *.bmp files. This by the way, is over default terrain. I'm thinking that if I took a screen shot, in the same manner that one does for Ground2K ensuring the correct dimensions, etc., and name it by the appropriate *.bmp, this would then serve as the basis for a texture that can be altered within the annotation program. Does this sound feasible?Re-reading the doc's that come with the SDK, mention of these *.bmp's is made, but only as "Resampled Unique Terrain".....nothing is mentioned about how one actually lays one's hands on them! One of these files accompanies the SDK and one works with it thru their tutorial; but nothing is said about where this file originates or how it was made. By the same token, the SDK then goes on to discuss the default "Generic Terrain" texture sheets like e.g., 029B2su3.bmp which can be found in the World Texture folder.I'm away for the next couple of days, so the experiment will have to wait.

Howdy,I suggest you read through an "elderly" but excellent document available here in the file library: tmf_manual.zip, by Christian Stock. It'll tell you what these terrain tiles are, how they derive their name, how they are used, and how they differ from the generic landclass texture tiles.Cheers, Holger

Guest GCBarni

Holger,Thanks for the tip.....read through it and have decided to drop the project!! It seems that the only way to get those *.bmp's is to have some example of actual terrain and then 'resample' it. I assume the resampling procedure, combined with the *.inf information provides the output *.bmp's with those long numbered file names.

Yes, that is correct. These bitmaps are created by the resample tool when you make a photoscenery for that area.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest GCBarni

Thanks for that, Arno.....and can I also assume then that the 'name' of the file is also assigned during this process; for example, 0031003110213Su.bmp?Barney

Yes, but the name is unique, each LOD square has a certain name. So from the name you can in theory "read" where the texture is located.

Arno

Guest GCBarni

That is the conclusion I was beginning to reach. Somehow, TCalc had to know this! And that's why I began this thread because I was confused as to how a program could know the name of a *.bmp file without that actual file being available.Nothing in any of the doc's that come with the SDK's comes right out and spells the origin of these strange numbered *.bmp's. Yet, examples of these *.bmp's are provided for us to experiment with in the tutorials.Thanks for your patience.Barney