Sign in to follow this  
jonpatch

Large scenery area - mostly non-airport

Folks, I am building a seaport terminal, which also includes a heliport. There are many custom objects, which sit on a big slab which represents the parking area and large docks. All created with Gmax.Overall it looks ok, but there are some functional problems. See screenshot attached.1. When slewing it is possible to move below the surface of the slab. I want movement limited so you cannot go below the surface.2. The heliport has its own min-AFCAD. To ensure that aircraft look like they are on the surface of the slab, its altitude is the same as the top of the slab. However that affects object placement, as the AFCAD raises the ground level under it.3. As the docks extend into the ocean, waves happily lap on the shoreline, ie appear on top of the docks. Ick.4. Once I get a detailed airphoto which will fine tune object locations, I plan to contour the slab object at the edges (except at the large berths of course) to the edge of the water.Specific questions:- how can I restrict movement to not go into go into an object?- how can I approach designing a scenery like this, with only part of it an AFCAD, to correctly place objects? Creating an apron for the whole area may present problems, but it might work.- do I have to modify the shoreline to restrict the waves?- is there another approach I should use?The attached screenshot shows that I have just a crude-edged slab at this point. I will refine it when I get a detailed airphoto.Jon

Hi Jon,>- how can I restrict movement to not go into go into an>object?If you mean that you can jump below ground level for a very short time in slew mode (it will jump back to the ground altitude soon), then there is no way to prevent this I think. Else you might want to add a platform to your object, so that it because hard and you can land on it.>- do I have to modify the shoreline to restrict the waves?Yes, you will have to exclude/re-place some of the VTP lines for the waves.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Gotcha, Arno. I don't know about platforms, where can I learn more about that? I think I may end up using an apron anyhow, that could solve some other problems as well. I'll just place the a/p altitude 0.1 feet below the top level of the object surface. That seems to work. I just have to deal with the surface fall-off next to the water.Acknowledged on the shoreline.Thanks as always for your help, Arno.Jon

Platforms are an option you can add with the attachscript of the Fs2004 GMax gamepack. The documentation also shows how you can make a hard surface with it.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Got it, Arno, thanks.After mucking about I think the easiest way to go is to create a flatten for the area. This solves the problem for aircraft, while the gradual roll off makes a nice transition from the slab surface. I just need to modify the shoreline to match the object (also as you pointed out solving the wave problem).Jon