Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

Rotating Beacon

I wish to be able to add the Rotating Beacon which is seen at many default airports to airports I am enhancing. I am a novice but I think what I need is the mdl and xml files. Can anyone help? If so, please feel free to e-mail me at opaflightsimaddict@verizon.netThanks in advance.P.S. I am using RWY12 and do know how to create a library object from the mdl and xml files.

Hello David,I think it is just a XML command that is needed to place these default beacons. No MDL object or so it needed. I am not at my normal PC at the moment, so I don't have the SDK with the commands around me at the moment.I am not sure if Rwy12 does allow you to place those beacons, maybe you must write a small XML file yourself.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest rellek01

Just copy any xml file you have, rename it whatever you want, and then open it with notepad. Copy and paste the following in the file; <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>Change the lat, lon coordinates to where ever you like. Save the file, then drag and drop the file onto bglcomp and a .bgl file will be created in the same folder. Take the file and drop it into an active scenery file ( addon scenery/scenery will work fine)bglcomp can be obtained from the Microsoft Flight sim website in the bglcomp sdkRellek

Thanks a million!It works like a charm - just edited the coordinates A AND changed the altitude to "0" .David

One further questionWill I nned to make individual BGL files for each time I place a beacon OR can I somehow place a "comment" in the base one (so I can easily identify the airport) and then place another set of commands for it?Hope that makes some sort of sense.

Guest BobL

You can combine your personal multiple airport 'enhancements' in one bgl. A sample comment line from one of mine is:The at the end of the comment are critical. BGL Comp will not compile the bgl if those aren't on the comment line. It tries to read them as a command otherwise.A word of caution about combining files. If you download someone else's scenery, and you have an improvement buried in one of your own bgls, you could end up with a beacon or tower or something of your own design sticking up through a terminal or building of the other persons. In such a case, finding the offending bgl may prove to be difficult and time consuming. It's for that reason only that I do a single bgl for each airport that I make an improvement at. I then name it with the ICAO and voila'. Easily traced if I ever get a conflict.BobL

Guest rellek01

OOPS, sorry about the 10 meter ALT.Thanks for the credit in your upload.Rellek

Hey not a problem - I quickly found out that 10 feet above ground was "not quite right" !I would have given you guys full credit but have no clue what your last names are. Just be assurred we all apreciate your feedback and assistance.

Guest DonMac

Hello David, I've been reading through this thread and tried to follow the instructions. I have copied the default file and I have also downloaded your file from the Library. I have carefully read and followed the instructions in your Instructions.txt but with no joy.I rather suspect that the structure on which your beacon sits is not included although it is shown very nicely in your jpegs! One of your advisors mentioned something about pasting his xml data into an existing file. Is this the xml file of the underlying girder structure? I should be grateful to received your help on this.

Don -Why don't you e-mail me directly - and perhaps we can figure out what is happening as this works really well for me and others who have dropped me a note.address is opaflightsimaddict@verizon.netBe sure to describe everything in detail - i.e. what, if anything your are seeing when you create the addition.Later

Another thought - If you are trying to add a beacon in the UK you most likely need to remove the minus sign (-) that appears in the lon section just before your lon coordinates. Be careful to not disturb the quote marks however. Let me know if this solves your problem.

Guest rellek01

FYI, the attached zip file is not THE default file for the rotating beacon, but rather just a file I wrote to produce the default civilian airport beacon. I named it "rotating beacon_default" as to not confuse it with my GMAX created towers with the beacon effect attached to it.The following was taken directly from the bglcomp SDK from Microsoft;------"BeaconThis element is used to add a beacon to the scene. Beacons can be added as stand-alone objects, but are usually added as objects attached to control towers. This element is not allowed to contain other data and must be terminated with

Guest DonMac

I have tried to get the rotating beacon to appear without success.As I understand it, the xml file needs no supporting mdl file because that information is in the library file and is identified by the identity number?I have tried to 'process' the xml file with bglcomp.exe and it produces a bgl file. I have tried it with default location in fs9 and also with a location of my own but nothing appears. I have also tried it without the attached light but I do not get the beacon tower which leads me to believe that I do not have the library info!.If I read the xml file correctly, the xml file sets up a bgl file for the beacon tower and then attaches the actual light to it. It would seem from my trial and error that I do not have the data for the beacon tower which I believe to come from the library --- but where is the library? Is it loaded with the installation of fs9 or does it have to be loaded separately and where does one get it?In fs2002 I used (under the guidance of Arno) fsregen to produce a library.bgl for inserting as many items as required.I tried to make a rudimentary tower in gmax and this loads OK but I cannot find out how to insert an attachment point. I have used attachment points in gmax for Trainz to connect bogies to trucks but I cannot find how to do this in fs2004 gmax.

Don:There is now a download available on Avsim that shows you how to do this. Just look for rotating_beacon.zip.I believe you will find it does just what you need.David Marshallopaflightsimaddict@verizon.net

Guest DonMac

David, I downloaded your 'Rotating Beacon.zip' some time ago and tried it but without success. As I said in my last post, I tried to get the tower structure by itself but again without any result.I am still convinced that I do not have the library from which info about the models is obtained and then processed by FS9.By the way I did as you suggested and sent you an e-mail.My question which I do not seem to be getting across is: Where is this library? Is it buried in some other file?Where does FS9 pick up its information about models when one compiles an XML file without the corresponding MDL file?I know there is an identity number for the MDL but where is this base of ID's kept?Thanks again for your efforts to help me.