Sign in to follow this  
Guest CYYJ1968

Building Bridges

Guest CYYJ1968

As part of a learner project, I'm trying to create some bridges over a river. Using the BGLComp SDK, I've figured out how to place standard scenery library objects using their GUID and orienting them in the landscape using latitude, longitude, altitude, heading, pitch and roll. This is all done using handbuilt XML files as defined in the BGL SDK.It works quite well for the placement of single objects or groups of single objects but I've run into a snag with bridges. It seems that most bridges are built using a number of smaller generic segments which have to be placed and oriented so that they are aligned and abut one another. Doing this with just two bridge elements was hard enough, involving lots of trial and error trying to figure out the dimensions of the objects so that they could be placed accurately relative to one another. I can only imagine that doing the same for a bridge with 3 or more elements would be an exercise in frustration. There must be a simpler way. How are you all adding bridges using the generic library objects provided? Are you using entirely different techniques or is this really the way it's done?

Guest GCBarni

Other than creating your own model of a bridge with muliple spans, segments, etc., then your idea of placing generic pieces together will work. You may wish to look at a program like ScenGenX which allows placing objects anywhere you like. Another program, which may suit your needs and might be easier to use is Rnwy12.The latter should be available from the Avsim library.

The default briges are actually 2-point VTP2 lines. Sbuilder or Ground2K4 would be more appropriate to place them.Dick

Guest GCBarni

But that's a departure from what the original message is about.....he's already inserting the default bridges using the GUID numbers. He wants to be able to place multible instances of these same bridges; at least, that's the way I read his question and for someone just starting out, Rnwy12 is easier to handle.

Guest CYYJ1968

Thanks fellas. I have used Rwy12. It's a nice tool, very easy to use. I actually decided it was simpler and faster to write the XML by hand though. I still use Rwy12 to check what the library objects look like. I keep on seeing references to Ground2K4 so it looks like I need to roll up my sleeves and get to grips with it.