Sign in to follow this  
Guest FlyingBear

BGL viewer

Guest FlyingBear

Hi all, Im a total newbie when it comes to scenery design so please excuse my ignorance if the following does not make sense.I have a airport installed which uses some static aircraft which I would like to remove. There is no way of telling which bgl files contain the statics from the way they are named.Original author has changed his email so have not been able to email him.Is the a utility available that will display the contents of the bgl files?CheersPete :)

The best viewer is FS itself I guess :). I don't know how many BGL files the scenery has, but you could try to load one at a time and then see what still shows.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest fame

Hi Pete:Take a look at the following:FS98 - FS2k2BGLAnalyze is a VisualC++ program to analyze and disassemble BGL files. The present version will disassemble to SCASM code. You will need SCASM version 2.85 or higher to reassemble the code, because the program uses the instruction set of this latest version, which can be obtained from http://www.scasm.de. This version (3.1) has been updated to include the ability to disassemble scenery files that contain vtp and lwm code. Fs2k4BGLXML is an utility which analyzes and decompiles BGL files into FS2004 format and produces human readable XML files to be recompiled with Microsoft BGLCOMP (available from our FS2004 SDK page). It fully supports almost all options included into new BGL file format, it is also able to extract .MDL files from ModelData sections. Now includes XMLSHELL, a GUI program for controlling bglxml from Windows Explorer. I hope this helps in some small way, visit the URL below (see sig),for additional ideas and suggestions.Good luckTom G, Sr.

Guest FlyingBear

Thankyou very much for your time and effort Tom. Actually I have had a look around the site in the past, quite bewildering for a scenery novice like my self, great site though, now only if I had more time:((downloaded the two files BGLXML & Microsoft BGLCOMP ) so Im off to see what damage I can do with them :)Cheers & thanks againPete :)

Hi Pete,As there is hardly any static available in the new Fs2004 format, I guess your statics will be made with the old format. In that case BGLXML will not be able to decompile your BGL file.I would advice BGLAnalyzer in that case. Although it is also very hard to find the aircraft in the resulting SCASM code. Maybe if you know the textures used on the statics that will help you in finding them.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest FlyingBear

Hi Arno, Thanks for the tip, I did neglect to mention in my intial post that they were FS2002 files, I will have a look at BGLAnalyzer also.CheersPete :)