Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hans Palsson

Making "sharp" polys

Guest Hans Palsson

Hi there!Is there a way to create good old non-vtp ground polygons, of course non-flickering, for FS2004? Without using AFCAD or FSSC. I

Hi Hans.I searched the AVSIM Scenery Design Forum for "ground poly" and found 25 pages of information on ground polys!Any ground poly scenery type from FS2002 should work fine with FS2004.The drill is always similar. Flatten the area, make the poly, fit the texture, add Zbias or use a SCASM CAT command, place the poly.=============================In FS9-specific code, this can be done with gmax and BGLC_9.Make a planar object, texture it, copy the plane and use as an attachpoint for a platform, export the model with keep files for the ASM code. Make use of the ZBIAS_4_ prefix to the material name of the plane, to force the drawing order to suppress the flickering.Tweak the ASM code to kill the shadow of the plane. Recompile with BGLC_9. Place it with XML code-BGLComp. ( Note, the killing of the shadow can be done from gmax as well, but we'd need to make a dummy file for the shadow to do that... but that would get rid of the need for BGLC_9 entirely ).Dick

Hi Hans,If you are using SCASM don't forget the LayerCall and then it should be easy to do.But if I read your post, your first problem is to convert the shape information into a polygon? What kind of format does this shape information have? For a ground polygon you need it in meters from the RefPoint.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Hans Palsson

Hi Dick & ArnoThanks for both replys! I

Hi Hans.The solution for greater resolution would be to make a ground poly... just like FSSC makes.ALL VTP2 polys have the same resolution, which is expressed as LOD22 ( I think ). It is around 4.8 meters per pixel in some areas of the world.Unfortunately, your poly also has water areas of a fine resolution... but LWM water also has the same LOD22 resolution.A possible solution is to make the general watershape as LWM water, and then place the islands as textured objects either planes or 3-D... my gmax solution, as I stated above. My reference was to an FS9-only solution using gmax, so the poly-object can be placed by XML-code. Note it isn't a poly in the older SCASM-code sense, but an object that consists of a planar surface.If the area is to be flat, then a SCASM solution of the older groundpoly will also work... but it will then be difficult separating the behavior of what is land, from what is water.That's it. Either the older SCASM ground-poly, or the placement of a planar object, to achieve greater texture resolution.Dick

Hi Hans,Dick mentioned most useful things already.The VTP code you get can not very easy be converted to an old style polygon, as the coordinate systems are very different. So I guess you first challenge will be to convert the shape info into a SCASM/GMax polygon in some way.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Hans Palsson

Hi guys!I just need to point one thing out - there is no water even close to these polygons, the blue colour comes from SBuilder

Guest luissa

Hello Hans,I never thought in generating the polygons that you need. I could add this but the problem is that I am completely occuppied with my scenery project that I can not spend time to add funcionalities to SBuilder. This is one more thing to consider when I will finish the referred to project.The export TXT file that SBuilder produces is not very useful as you would like to have X and Y deviations from the center of the polygon (the ReferencePoint !) to build a SCASM polygon. Yesterday, when I saw your post, I looked at the BGLComp docs. Today I see that the textures you need are textures for runways, taxiways, etc. Therefore I think may be you are lucky. May be you could make a XML file using the Apron and Vertex commands. They use Lat and Lon instead of the deviations referred to above. It looks to me that it would not be a difficult task to open an SBX file with a good text editor and make a XML out of it!Kind Regards, Luis

Guest Hans Palsson

Hi Luis!Thanks for this, I will really look into my printed BGLComp documents - will report back.(I noticed that the forum at PTSim is not available, so instead of tinkering on my "other" problem, I