Sign in to follow this  
Jay R

Upgrade Heaven

Guest Max Cowgill

I sit here, typing this post, in front of my brand new 19" monitor which I picked up for a cool $180 from best buy ($130 after MIR) along with my new 512MB PC133 RAM module. Not a bad deal when all's said and done, as I'll have paid just a shade under $300 for the both. How's FS you ask? I respond with: disk swapping? What's that? :-lol I've seen an FPS increase of about 2 on approach/landing and @ altitude FPS isn't even a concern. Of course, all this is still running FS2k (FS2k2 goes in as soon as I get my GF2 64MB card in the mail this week) but I expect FS2k2 to perform similarly, if not better than FS2k. Things never looked so good on my 15" monitor, and after having gone from 128MB>256MB>512MB, I can honestly say that every day tasks and gaming are much smoother now with 512MB RAM than they ever were even with 256MB. Unfortunately, I'm now stuck with 2x 128MB PC133 SDRAM modules without a home... Hmmmm, whatever shall I do? I smell giveaway! Anyone interested in picking up a 128MB PC133 SDRAM module just respond to this thread with your e-mail addy and I'll get back to you ASAP. I'd prefer to give one module to two different people, rather than giving both to one person but if not much interest is generated, I'll consider giving them both to the same person. Please, only those with inadequate systems need apply, I don't want any of you fancy Athlon/P4 GHz+ owners whining about how you need another 256MB RAM to go with the GB you already have installed :-lolBTW, anyone interested in getting a 19" monitor on the cheap, try your local BB as they're selling MAG Innovision 19" monitors for $199.99 w/$50 MIR. Max Cowgill

Max,I would certainly make a very good use of the extra 128 MB. I currently have 192 MB. My system is PIII 500 with 100 FSB and I believe Asus P3BF (I would have to get back home to be sure but it is definitely Asus and definitely PxBF) motherboard. Would PC133 work with my current memory which is PC100 ?Michael J.

Guest Max Cowgill

Michael,PC133 SDRAM will indeed work on a 100MHz FSB, it'll just default to 100MHz is all. Sounds like you're definitely in need of some more RAM w/only 192MB. I assume that's 128 + 64, correct? How many slots do you have open? If no one else with similar or lesser specs responds I'll send you both modules if you have the slots to make use of them.Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

>BTW, anyone interested in getting a 19" monitor on the >cheap, try your local BB as they're selling MAG Innovision >19" monitors for $199.99 w/$50 MIR. >>Max Cowgill Max, Please don

Max,One more bank of 128MB and I would be in heaven. Yes, you are correct, its is 128 + 64 so I believe I just have one more slot empty - I believe this particular MB has 384 Mb max capacity.Michael J.

Guest simpilot

I picked up a Sylvania 19 inch monitor 6 months ago from Costco for $219 plus a $30 MIB. Even though Sylvania is not known for their monitors and have very little in terms of reviews, I have been very pleasantly surprised in it's performance. I had purchased a 17 inch MAG from BB about a month before but I could not stand the picture quality and trying to get the screen sized and display correctly. The Sylvania has OSD great refresh rates and you can now pick one up for $185 with a $20 or $30 rebate. Great buy IMHO.Cheers!Richard

Guest Max Cowgill

Paul,I have owned two 19" monitors in the past few years (both Phillips/Dell) and this monitor is every bit as good as they were. BTW, this is the MAG Innovision 986FS monitor whose specs can be found here: http://www.maginnovision.com/Products/986FS.asp I'm currently running at a resolution of 1152x864x32 @ 85Hz and the display quality is terrific. I realize this isn't exactly the best 19" monitor in the world but I'm happy with the quality for only $130 :)Max Cowgill

Used to have a mag Innovision 17" Monitor. Lasted 2.5 years then went kaplooey... (is that even a word. :-lol )last mag I owned or advised people to buy...Just my factual experience..I did pick up a used Cornerstone 21" Monitor at Computer Rennaisance which rocks.. :-) :-)Of Course I did my reasearch prior to buying which was over 3 years ago. They had about 15 in stock at the time... Let's just say I got a good deal.Regards,Joe :-wavehttp://home.attbi.com/~jranos/mysig.jpg http://avsim.com/hangar/air/bfu/logo70.gif

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest Max Cowgill

Anyone else in dire need of some more RAM? I have no problem with sending both modules to Michael but as I already said, I'd prefer to help out two simmers in need rather than just one. Also, if anyone wants my old Velocity 128ZX 8MB AGP card, I'd be more than willing to send that out to someone running an ATI Mach 64 or some such :-lolMax Cowgill

Guest Lobaeux4

I've seen that monitor on the best buy website. I'm deciding between the Mag and a Samsung at sam's club. Both 19" monitors, but I was hoping for a flat screen. Any recommendations, I'd like to keep the price down, the Mag would be $149 and the Samsung is sitting at $189.Thanks,Joe

Max,Thanks in advance. Two or just a single bank - I will be extatic ! This will actually be the very first time ever I am going to open up my PC and get things in-and-out of my mobo.Planning to visit Northern California soon ?Michael J.

Guest Max Cowgill

Joe, I've only had the monitor for a few hours but it's looking good so far. Samsung obviously makes better products than MAG, but if money is an issue you may want to go with the MAG. Even running on my old Velocity 128ZX 8MB AGP card the image quality is more than acceptable, imho. Go down to Sam's Club and see if they have the two monitors running side-by-side so you can compare the two first-hand.Max Cowgill

Guest Max Cowgill

>Max, >>Thanks in advance. Two or just a single bank - I will be >extatic ! This will actually be the very first time ever I >am going to open up my PC and get things in-and-out of my >mobo. >>Planning to visit Northern California soon ? Good luck then Michael! Installing RAM is one of the simplest (if not the simplest) upgrade one can do, as all that's involved is pushing the retention clips back and popping in the RAM module. As for visiting Northern Cali, not unless someone has 49ers tickets for me :-lol I'd walk to Cali for those :)Max Cowgill

HA!Hope you get the rebate!Futura never sent mine!Getting the rebate is like lending money to your friend, take the view you'll never see it again and if you do get it, then that's good

Max, press those panels together, I need DDR :-lolNice prices, wish I was on that side of the border, up here, CH Yokes go for $219.99 + 15% tax, down there $95, not quite the same...If you like your MAG, you'd love my new Sony ;-)Ray