Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

ESDG Ramp Lights - Rwy12

This ESDG Ramp Lights library is for users of Rwy12 Objects Placer only. There are 4 Ramp Lights: Quad, Dual, and Single Floodlights, and a small "Street Light." All lights "illuminate the area" in 180

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Thanks for sharing the library !George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

You are most welcome. Avsim.com replaced the original file that was uploaded yesterday already. I had to rename the two .bmp files to make them "unique," as there as a conflict with an existing "ramp.bmp" file, and of course that meant editing the _0.asm and recompiling the .mdl and subsequent library .bgl.Just make sure the two textures have an ESDG_ prefix and you'll know you have the final release version v1.1 ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

Yes, I noticed and downloaded the latest.I already placed them on an airport to test. They worked without a problems and also I haven't noticed any effect on the performance!!!If I can make a bit of constructive critism, I like the lights but could they be a bit more spread near the pylon? I mean, the light source is actually high above the ground so some of the light also lights the backside of the apron too. I don't have a sample to show, but I think you'll understand.Is it hard to do with the landing lights?Thanks again.George Dorkofikis(Member of the Hellas Scenery Team.)

>If I can make a bit of constructive critism, I like the lights>but could they be a bit more spread near the pylon? I mean,>the light source is actually high above the ground so some of>the light also lights the backside of the apron too. I don't>have a sample to show, but I think you'll understand.>Is it hard to do with the landing lights?The "angle of the lightbeam" for landing lights is fixed as far as I'm aware, and cannot be modified. I understand what you are asking, and unfortunately could not come up with a solution. I did the best I could to provide optimum coverage for the ramp/apron area, without too much overlap between the lights. I also aimed them carefully to provide a consistent "fan of coverage" so that the task of setting them in a scene is simplified.We could, of course, simply move the actual "landing light polygon(s)" back from the "physical light," but then you would have a small point of light (the emitter's origin) suspended in mid-air some feet behind the "physical light..." :( That would look really silly, IMHO. ;)OTOH, all of the information needed to build entirely new, customized "ramp lights" is available in that "long thread" here, so anyone who wishes may give it a go themselves. I'm sure that with all the terrific talent here, it won't be long before there are alternate and even better looking "Ramp Lights" made available. ;)

Fr. Bill    

Guest DannyW

Thank you for sharing Bill. I was waiting for lights like this.

hi,first many, many thanks for the these ramps lights! really great stuff which enhances the airport apron dramatically!although you can not adjust the angle, you can adjust the beam by using the standard aircraft landing light adjustment keys...but be careful, adjusting the beam on the apron, will also adjust your landing beam(s) on your aircraft! in the first place i thought, the beam on these ramp lights are fixed, but they aren't...funny stuff!cheers and again many thanks,harald

>although you can not adjust the angle, you can adjust the beam>by using the standard aircraft landing light adjustment>keys...Chuckle! Yep, that's an odd side-effect allright!Of course, the "angle" I made reference to is the "horizontal spread" of the "light beam..." ;)

Fr. Bill    

Hi Bill and all.I was afraid that method of creating lights might have some problems. :(But, I did have the solution:http://webpages.charter.net/ludowr/DownWardSpots.ziphttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=vie...&file_id=103242These light MDLs may be placed directly as scenery objects with XML code, or attached ( as objects ) to other objects from within gmax. There is no aircraft light adjustment, as these are not aircraft lights.The zip contains the ASM code for the MDLs. Changing just the color designation in the ASM will alter the intensity & color of the lights.Dick

>Hi Bill and all.>>I was afraid that method of creating lights might have some>problems. :(I'm not sure I see it as a "problem" inasmuch as 99.9% of the simmers don't even know that they can easily adjust the "tilt" and "sweep" of their landing lights... ;)On the other hand, while I noticed (and d/l'ed) your really cool files, I was stuck for ideas on just how I could incorporate them into my existing project's goals, which was to make the lights placable via the Rwy12 program.OTOH, I have already begun spinning new ideas for the use of multi-colored floodlights for some cool "night ambient lighting" for say, the patio deck of a country club, or some such... ;)I'm confident that others as well as me will find good uses for your contribution! Thanks!

Fr. Bill    

Hi Bill.You just need to compile the lights as MDLs using BGLC_9 ( make sure the ouput extention is changed to .mdl ). I did 4 in the Zipfile.As I wrote, the colors can be changed to allow different colors or brightness, and new MDLs created.Red: BGL_LIGHT LIGHT_TAXI, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 000FF0000h, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000Green: BGL_LIGHT LIGHT_TAXI, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 00000FF00h, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000MidGray: BGL_LIGHT LIGHT_TAXI, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0, 0.0, 0.0, 0007F7F7Fh, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000The resulting MDLs can be addd to an XML code to make Library objects... either placed directly within that code, or placed by other XML code.Once the MDLs have a GUID, they can be used with object-attachpoints in other object MDLs.When placed directly by XML code, they can be pitched, banked, headed, given altitude, Biased.When attached to another object via gmax's attachpoint, then that attachpoint can be rotated within gmax, and the attached light will follow the rotation of the attachpoint. There IS a problem with these lights when seen during limited visibility ( fog ). Large, dim squares appear on the ground surface. :(Dick

>Hi Bill.>When attached to another object via gmax's attachpoint, then>that attachpoint can be rotated within gmax, and the attached>light will follow the rotation of the attachpoint. > [snippety snip]>There IS a problem with these lights when seen during limited>visibility ( fog ). Large, dim squares appear on the ground>surface. :(Ah, gottcha now... easy-peasey! :)That latter problem probably isn't insurmountable, but at least the "tried-and-true" method I used for the Rwy12 project doesn't suffer from that particular limitation.I'll try to make some time over the next couple of weeks to run some experiments. For now, I'd better get back to the projects that pay my bills! ;)

Fr. Bill    

Hi Bill.It seems things are never as easy as I want them. :)The reason your lights are movable is simply because they are LIGHT_LANDING. I was using LIGHT_TAXI.Taxi lights aren't aimable! So, the code you are using is fine, and if you want them frozen, use LIGHT_TAXI instead. Your ASM code may need to use LIGHT_TAXI_0 and LIGHT_TAXI_1, where applicable. I think you can apply "LIGHT_TAXI_whatever" as a material name from within gmax.Dick