Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Basic Ground2K Question

Guest mtom

Hi all.I was wondering whether some kind sole would be good enough to show me what I'm doing wrong in Ground2K. Basically, the polys are not going where they should.I've attached a top-down image of the location I'm working on, as viewed in the Ground2K working environment. As you can see, it's a mess. The blue triange is an experimental body of water. The green rough triangle is its final location as it resolves in the FS environment.It's also apprarent that the grid-gen and cell-grid lines don't match up, despite setting them to the same location (710,334). Also, the cell-grid cells don't aline with the white-dashed LOD lines in ground2K. Got me stuffed what I'm doing wrong.Any input's appreciated.Cheers,Matthew.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/103739.jpg

Hello Matthew,The coordinates of your background image are probably not correct. If you use Dick's TCalc, you can slew to the corners of the background (in FS) and get the correct coordinates. This should solve your problem.By the way, Edgar's Grid Generator creates a grid of latitude and longitude lines, whereas Dick's CellGrid creates a grid of LOD lines: they do not coincide, so this is normal. But, the CellGrid lines should always be the same as the grid in Ground2K4. If not, your coordinates for the background image are set incorrectly.Best regards.Luis

Guest mtom

Hi Luis.Many thanks for the reply and all the info.I was wondering whether you'd be able to elaborate a little on your idea. I'm not sure how you slew to the corners of the background in FS.If I'm in slew mode with a top-down view, the background image is always at the centre of the screen. Therefore, what I'd done was to identify and record the coordinates of two landmarks in the NW and SE corners of the screen. I subsequently entered these as decimal degrees into Ground2K.Cheers,Matthew.

Hello Matthew,Here is an example. I use Dick's CellGrid and take a screenshot:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/103870.jpgThis image is cropped so that I only get what I need:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/103871.jpgThen, within FS, slew to the corresponding northwest and southeast corners and get the coordinates with Dick's TCalc.This should fix your problem.Best regards.Luis

Guest mtom

Good on ya Luis!Thats put me on the right track. It's all lined up correctly now.As a matter of interest, Dick's TDFCalc2 does not give usable data to put into Ground2K. I'm in FS2K2 (should have mentioned that earlier, sorry), so the only way I could create coordinates data from decimal degrees is with the facility in LMWDraw (I'm afraid I haven't mastered that program either). So, my approach on the basis of your suggestion was very similar to the one I was applying previously. I can't imaging why using corner coordinates would work when the NW and SE landmark coordinates wouldn't.Anyway, not to worry. The important thing is that the polys go where I want then them to go. Many thanks.One more thing. I don't mean to sound thick, but would you be good enough to show me how to get rid of polys from the Ground2K working environment (and therefore from the LMW files)? I installed another triangle of water as a test, but now I can't get rid of it. I open up the project, click on 'road/river/lake', then click on 'object selection' and then 'delete selected object', but the triange will not budge. There must be a simple solution to this, but it's not apparent to me.Thanks again for all your help Luis. Much appreciated.Cheers,Matthew.

Hello Matthew,It is good that you have gotten everything lined up. If you are working on a project for the previous version of FS, you might want to use Dick's original CellGrid, not the 2004 version.As to deleting a line/polygon, this is an interesting question. Normally, this is the procedure: - click on "Select"; this is the "S" icon; - double-click on the polygon that you wish to delete, in order to select it. It should change color and become bright red; - press the Delete key; - Ground2K will ask you to confirm the deletion of the line/polygon.That should be it. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of difficulties.Best regards.Luis

Guest mtom

Hi Luis. Hi Dick.Thanks for your replies. All good, so far. I thought there was something simple to deleating polys. Couldn't get it happen before, though.Wow, the TDFCalc2004 works like a treat with the FDSConnection and FSUIPC dll's. Jeez, that makes life easier.Thanks again fellas. Much appreciated.Cheers,Matthew.

Hi Matthew.TDFCalc2004 v2 uses FDSConnection, alone... not FSUIPC. FDSConnection is free, and can be included with program distribution, and requires no registration or codes for either the programmer or the end user. FDSConnection's home is http://www.flightdecksoftware.com/That's why I use it.Dick