Sign in to follow this  
Guest GCBarni

Misplaced Bridge

I just discovered that MS has misplaced the long bridge (24 miles long) over Lake Pontchartrain near New Orleans. Instead of being over the lake, it is over land on the North Shore.Is anyone capable of finding where MS hid the file (a bgl I presume) and correcting the location?The coordinates to see the problem are N30 21.70 and W 90 5.74 - try it at an altitude of 150 feet or so.If someone can do this it would make a lot of people who know the area very happy!Thanks in advance.David "Opa" Marshallopaflightsimaddict@verizon.net

Guest jimkeir

Hi, David.Altering the default files is possible, but not usually a good idea because once you start altering them there's no longer a common base for every installation. It's usually better to override the default file instead.You can create an exclude for a specific area, telling FS not to display the bridge at all. Then you can place a new object, using the same model, at whatever location you want. Package up the exclude file and the model placement file and you can submit it to the library here and > make a lot of people who know the area very happy!Why not give it a go? It may be easier than you think. Check out the design guide (sticky item at the top of the forum) and search here for "exclude" and "runway12" which is a tool for placing objects.Each object has a unique identifer called a GUID. You can use another program called "newbglanalyze" to find out exactly what GUID belongs to the bridge you need. For a start you could create the exclude and place another object in the right place, just as a test.Cheers,Jim Keir

Guest fame

Hi David:Get ready to be happy ;)The gentleman below, has already provided a solution:FS2004 The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway Bridge The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway. The Worlds Longest Bridge (24 Miles Long) in the distance. MSFS 2004 forgot to place the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway in the right location, (over the lake). If you follow my bridge to north shore of the lake you will see the original causeway bridge sitting on the ground, land locked. This is a simple scenery file that makes for a nice flight over Lake Pontchartrain. (Low detail, just simple roads over water) - Glenn Johnson. 88 KB You can download same, from http://www.fsfreeware.com/ in the "What's New Section". As lake_pont_causeway.zip.All The BestTom G, Sr.

>Get ready to be happy ;)> ...>lake). If you follow my bridge to north shore of the lake you>will see the original causeway bridge sitting on the ground,Well, the readme file sounds like the default bridge is still there. So Jim's advise about the exclude file might still apply for complete happiness :)To add a third possibility for a bridge, aside from Jim's XML-object or Glenn's Scasm approach: It should be possible to create a bridge with FS9 default bridge structures via VTP - draw a VTP line with a bridge texture over the lake.Cheers, Edgar

Unfortunately, the "real" bridge is still there on land. This file only puts a couple of fake roadways over the lake where the bridge should be.Thanks for the idea to.David

As I fly over the bridge (which is now over land) it appears to be properly constructed so I was hoping the mis-placement would be just a matter of bad coordinates in one or more bgl's that make up the bridge. And if that was the case, assuming one can figure out which bgl(s) are wrong, then I thought might be a relatively simple manner to create new xml files with corrected coordinates and then recompile new bgl(s).Am I off base on this or is this approach possible?David

I don't know how this bridge looks, but I guess Edgar is comming close here. Most default bridges are made use VTP lines. So the bridge could then only be removed with a VTP exclude.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest GCBarni

Confederation Bridge, which spans between New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island was also misplaced by MS. I removed it with an exclude file using AFW before creating a 'new', custom one. The trick though is to find the referrence point; as the bridge is quite long, this can be tedious. What I did, was make the exclude parameters large enough to get rid of the default, and then keep shrinking it until just the default bridge is gone, but nothing else is affected. Eventually, you will find the point. In the case of the Pontchartrain one, there might be 2 points.