Sign in to follow this  
Guest chris_kirk

FS9 Navaid data

Guest chris_kirk

Hi.I've posted this query in a couple of places without much success so I thought you scenery designers might have the answer...!I need a simple ulility that allows you to enter the ID of an FS9 navaid (specifically a VORDME) and will return its Lat/Long coordinates and its elevation. Does such a tool exist? If not I'm going to have to dust off some pretty rusty programming skills!!Many thanks,Chris Kirk

Guest bones

Not sure if an actual tool is available to do this but certainly FSNav etc can do this sort of thing. I know FSNav compiles its own database but it reads the data from FS2004 (and all add-on scenery folders).There are a lot of duplicate navaid callsigns - I presume your project would cater for this?boneshttp://fsaviation.nethttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest chris_kirk

The trouble with FSNav is that, first of all it doesn't provide elevation data for DME's and secondly it simply does too much! I just want a very simple app with a very small memory footprint so I can easily look up the information I need without any fuss.Duplicate ID's aren't a problem: since I will be displaying the Lat/Long coords as well it will be very simple to choose the correct ID.Thanks for your reply though,Chris Kirk

Guest fame

Hi Chris:"If you build it... they will come" or something in that vein. ;)All kidding aside, if you do go the extra mile, and put together a dedicated utility, I for one would be interested in it. And would be happy to help you to promoted and distribute it. Food for thought?Good LuckTom G, Sr.>If not I'm going to have to dust off some pretty rusty>programming skills!!>>Many thanks,>>Chris Kirk

Guest chris_kirk

Tom,You clearly have no appreciation of just how rusty my programming skills really are :-violin But thanks for your offer of help; I'll give it some thought and see if I can come up with anything.Now... where did I put that manual of the BBC 6502 Instruction Set...?*:-* Chris Kirk

Guest chris_kirk

I think the hardest part will be actually extracting the relevant data from within FS9. Under FS2002 and before this would be a simple matter of using something like EasyNavs, but this tool is not compatible with FS9. Anyone know of an EasyNavs-like tool that will work with FS9?I could ask Richard Stephan if I could use his Nav data, but I don't think it contains elevation data anyway.Thanks again,Chris Kirk

If you decompile the files to XML files the extracting should not be that much of a problem. The only problem is then to read all these XML files and find the information you are looking for.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest chris_kirk

Arno,I had considered that possibility but was somewhat put off by the rather impressive 15531 .bgl files in my Flightsim folder! I suppose it's too much to hope that the navaid data I am looking could be located in just a few known bgl's?Many thanks,Chris Kirk

Most navaids are in the files named NV*.BGL. This contains the NDB and VOR beacons. ILS is contained within the airport data and that is in the files named AP*.BGL.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest chris_kirk

Arno,Thank you very much: 10 bgl's makes the project workable!Chris Kirk