Sign in to follow this  
Guest sapper42

Texture Formats

Guest sapper42

Gday all.Has anyone of late noticed a delay in loading textures ( DXT ) for scenery when said textures have been converted by Imagetool from the latest SDK's ?I have noticed textures of 1024 x 1024 and 512 x 512 seem to be very slow in loading and cause a momentary pause in the scenery. To reduce the texture files any further would reduce the quality of the image. I have tried DXT2BMP but noticed the file size was larger and didnt notice any significant change. Textures are custom made from photo's and saved as 24 bit BMP untill conversion to DXT1 with mip maps added.rgds Jeff

Hi Jeff,No, never noticed such an influence from the texture format.When texture are loading slow here it is in general because the area I am working in is very dense and heavy on the frames.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest sapper42

Thanks Arno. FPS is a reason that im testing some high detail objects but it seems to only affect one object that is medium in detail ( poly count ). Will experiment more and see what i can work out as i was thinking along the lines of discussion in other forums id read regarding DXT2BMP and Imagetool that i couldnt replicate to any value.rgds Jeff