Sign in to follow this  
arno

Autogen view distance...

Is there still no way to adjust the generic.bgl file to tweak autogen view distance? I've done some low and slow VFR flights lately and noticed a very annoying behaviour with default.xml placed autogen:1. With FS9.1 patch installed, view distance is ridiculously low. I mean *really* low. Can't be more than a mile at 0.75x zoom (that's right, zoom has an impact on the "distance", see point #3). This is obviously Microsoft's attempt to fix the autogen slowdown bug. 2.Obviously their fix doesn't work 100% as framerate is still significantly higher when you disable default.xml.3. It's not actually a "view distance" as such that they've adjusted in FS9.1. Try this:Find a red barn or other typical default.xml object. Slowly slew backwards from it until it dissapears (should happen quite quickly...TOO quickly in fact). Now zoom in one step - poof - barn is back again :-eek Slew backward til it's gone. Zoom. Barn pops up again. This seems to happen even very far away from the target object. This is not right at all and normal autogen does not behave this way at all. This is possibly why default.xml still causes a performance hit - they reduced the view distance, yes, but the *wrong* view distance :-hmmm4. I actually returned to the FS9.0 generic.bgl file for now. Now the red barn is visible even when I'm 30 minutes flying from it :-roll but I've upgraded to an Athlon64 recently which seems to handle the overhead better and Microsoft's "fix" didn't improve things all that much anyway. Doubling the distance between phone poles in terrain.cfg seems to be enough to brdige the gap and make FPS flyable. At least it's better than having the objects pop up in the foreground as you fly. Makes for more enjoyable VFR flights. It would be better to set something sensible though instead of having to choose between 1 mile (fs9.1 bgl file) or 20 mile (fs9.0 .bgl file) view distance.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

What you are seeing is the way LOD models work. They don't work with the view distance, but with the resolution on screen. So if you zoom in, the object takes more pixels and thus a higher LOD model is shown.For the objects you mention I guess MS is using empty LOD models for the lower resolution, thus resulting in the pop-up effect you mention.I don't think there is an easy way to fix this, as it is in the library BGL and has nothing to do with the XML file.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog