Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightsimstudios

Creating new autogen objects

Guest misho

Is it possible to create brand new autogen objects (using GMAX) and have it listed and usable in Annotator.exe? For instance, if I wanted to create brand new icebergs or boulders as autogen objects?Thanks,

Hello Misho,The FS Team answered that question here some months ago. It is possible to do this by adding the reference to the default.xml file in the Autogen folder, I think. There should be more details in the Autogen SDK, I suppose, although I have not checked.Best regards.Luis

Guest misho

Yup, that worked perfectly. Thanks Luis!

Yes, that works fine indeed. I have also done some tests with it. The only problem that I can see with this method is that when a lot of people start doing it the default.xml file will become a chaos.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest misho

I agree. However, that is why GUIDs are there - to make sure each is unique. I am not sure if the XML file can be appended at the bottom, instead of pasting the snippets all around it. That would help a lot - having a demarcation line where the default ends, and from there on are the mods.The other thing is - I was hoping to be able to choose a specific object within the group, but that's not how it works: I can choose a group and there might be say 5 variations on the objects (say, boulders) but htey are all chosen randomly. I guess, If I want to choose specific objects, I have to create a separate group for each. Oh well, not a big deal!

Yes, that is true. You only select the autogen class used.But if you want to place a specific object at a specific place then autogen is probably not the best tool to use. You can just as well place the object with a piece of XML code in that case.About the appending, not sure if that would work. I think it should be inside the region tag of the region you want the class to be in. If more people start using this is might become time to make a little tool that can add the needed information automatically or so.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest flightsimstudios

Is it possible within the XML code to use a country, state or city designator rather than a region code designator to define autogen classes?Has anyone experimented with doing this yet?