Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Sorry, it's 2005 and most of the answers are old.

Guest Jib01

I have done a search for excluding autogened files in areas that are rebuilt using AFCAD. bgltools was designed for FS98 and I am not sure whether it still works for FS2004. Is there a newer tool that can do this ? This should be simple by now. Can anyone help me ?BTW, anyone know what the status of Lee Swordys new AFCAD that will add building to airports is ??RegardsJib01/02 :) :) :)

Guest Firestriker

If you mean autogen buildings and vegetation you need to change the landclass of the area becaue it is a function of the terrain and not scenery. The terrain is made up of areas and those are divided into cells. You can manipulate the landclass property of cells with EZLandclass if 1.2 x 1.2 km. chunks are not to large for you or use other programs like Ground2k/2k4 to make your own custom LWM/VTP.Lou

The default airports indeed use a VTP grass polygon to get rid of the autogen. As Lou indicated these can be made with tools like SBuilder or Ground2k4. If you don't need to change the landclass for the rest of your project, I think this is the easiest way to remove the autogen objects.About AFCAD, I have not heard any news about it. Would be cool if AFCAD allowed you to place all XML scenery elements :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Jib01

Dick,Is this all there is to it ? I can work with those text files. I have moved building and inserted buildings using this technique. I use a BGL disassembler and then look for the buildings I want to change.Big question is What BGL does the exclude go in ?????ThanksJib01/02 :)><?xml version="1.0"?>> version = "9.0"> xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'> xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd" >>> > latitudeMaximum = "42.6401589843265"> longitudeMinimum = "-88.6208954881278">> latitudeMinimum = "42.6383932778347"> longitudeMaximum = "-88.6186019722228">> excludeAllObjects = "TRUE" />>>>>>>The XML can have multiple exclusions, or a larger, single>exclusion.>>Dick

The exclude can be in any BGL in your scenery folder. It will then exclude elements in other scenery folder with a lower priority.But in another thread it was reported that these XML excludes do not work for autogen. They can only exclude normal scenery (airports, etc).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

It seems to me that I did exclude autogen trees from my personal airstrip using these XML excludes.Since I did not bother to place an underlying skirting, trees appeared on both the runway and the ramp; not surprising in the tropics - got to keep cutting those weeds or they will grow quickly!Anyway, I used ExcBuilder to create 2 excludes, one for the runway and one for the ramp. It works perfectly. Although I did leave trees at the ends of the runway just to make the take-off and landing more interesting!Best regards.Luis

Guest Jib01

Luis,I will give it a try. If you select all objects does that mean autogen will recognize it NOT to place objects ? After you do this and want to add buildings back in can you even do that after the exclude is generated ?RegardsJib01/02 :)>It seems to me that I did exclude autogen trees from my>personal airstrip using these XML excludes.>>Since I did not bother to place an underlying skirting, trees>appeared on both the runway and the ramp; not surprising in>the tropics - got to keep cutting those weeds or they will>grow quickly!>>Anyway, I used ExcBuilder to create 2 excludes, one for the>runway and one for the ramp. It works perfectly. Although I>did leave trees at the ends of the runway just to make the>take-off and landing more interesting!>>Best regards.>>Luis>

Hi all.XML excludes work for autogen when you use 'excludeAllObjects = "TRUE"' or if you select all the seven individual exclude types as TRUE.You can add the exclude section to a placement XML code or use it as a stand-alone XML to make a separate BGL exclude.My preference would be a separate BGL for the excludes... with a small exclude for each offending autogen object. If that is not workable, then I'd use medium-sized excludes to cover the area I want cleaned up... they can overlap. Note the exclude is rectangular, and oriented to the NS and EW axis.... no rotating or non-rectangular shapes.Dick

Guest Jib01

Ok, the first thing I am trying to do is move the AFCAD field I have designed away from all the buildings if I can so just trees are on the runways and taxiways.One thing I want to confirm since I don't see it mentioned in Lees instructions is....If you select ALL, you can move it in x,y directions but you can not rotate it all together. Is that correct ?thanksJib01/02 :)

Guest Jib01

Ok, with excbuilder what would I check just to get rid of trees ? I tried library and building objects and that did not do it. Is there a separate definition for trees ?Now that we get everything out of the way, how do I put Hangers back in that won't be excluded by the exclude file ????? Looks like we need Lees new program here.Thanks for all your help and I hope this topic helps some other users.RegardsJib01/02 :)

You need to exclude everything. That's what gets rid of autogen.If you want to preserve buildings, etc... just make smaller excludes that don't include those buildings' refpoints. You can have more than one exclude... in fact, many exclude rectangles can be combined in XML code to make one BGL for the whole airport. The rectangles can overlap.Dick

Guest Jib01

>You need to exclude everything. That's what gets rid of>autogen.>>If you want to preserve buildings, etc... just make smaller>excludes that don't include those buildings' refpoints.I was under the impression that you can not have a smaller excludethan 1.2km. Are you telling me I can make it as small as I want ? You>can have more than one exclude... in fact, many exclude>rectangles can be combined in XML code to make one BGL for the>whole airport. The rectangles can overlap.Yes, I understand that but the size of the exclude area is whatI am concerned about. I guess I will have to try one and see ifa smaller exclude area works...>>DickThanks againJib01/02 :)

Hi Jib.You can have VERY tiny excludes for objects... as small as 0.000001 degrees, I believe, before rounding errors creep into BGLComp. This is a good thing, becuase there is a bug concerning the use of effects over an excluded rectangle. Objects are excluded in scenery Library layers below the exclude, but effects are excluded within the same 'scenery' folder as well. So a tiny exclude is less likely to disturb affects added on within the same scenery project.You only need to exclude the refpoint... not the whole object. Some airport complexes many have a singular refpoint with biased ( offset ) locations for parts of the buildings... so a decompile of the bgl may help locate the refpoints of the unwanted objects. For autogen, the refpoint is usually right under the center of the object. Dick