Sign in to follow this  
Guest pecrowther

Moving busses cars etc.

Hi !Anyone knows howto have some moving busses or/and cars in a scenery ?Which program to use etc.Thanks,KalaKwww.kalak-flightsim.com

Guest Chief_Parrothead

Well, you can use a program such as LAGO's FSE and record 'tracks' that will move their objects.Or Arno is working on a neat little tool (Ani-linker) that will allow you to attach animations to objects created in GMAX.Quote from his forum:===================================================================== This tool is based on the technology of CAT, but it is used different. With this tool you can combine multiple animations as made in GMax. This way you can make animations that are longer than 1024 frames or 55 seconds. This would be useful for making driving traffic on your airport for example. But I think you can think of a lot more purposes.=====================================================================I'm standing in line waiting on this one! :-jumpyOther than that, I dont know of any other program that will animate objects in FS9.

Thanks !But if I use "LAGO's FSE" then others have to have "LAGO's FSE".So I'm looking for another solution - do you have a link to Arno ?KalaKwww.kalak-flightsim.com

Link to my site is in my signature. Check out Tools and then AniLinker. But I need to find some time to finish it first :).There are also people that are using the old dynamics scenery for animated vehicles. This might also be an option, although I am not a big fan of this.And for Fs2002 we used BusyObjects, although I have not tested if it still works OK in Fs2004.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks !Will try your site :()KalaKwww.kalak-flightsim.com

Guest pecrowther

I haven't seen anyone try this, but it might be possible to create moving traffic by using a "model-making" program like FSDS2. You could create a basic highway to fit with the terrain (for reference) and add vehicles as animated parts.Simply set the vehicle at the start point for the first frame and at the end point at the last frame, and the program will do the interpolation. You could extend the distance of vehicle travel by using a loop (i.e. an identical vehicle starts where the last vehicle stopped), or you can increase the density of traffic by linking models together.One drawback may be that, in some situations, the motion of animated parts is jerky. Another difficulty will be in getting the road and vehicles to conform to the terrain. However, on a flat surface, that should not be a problem.I am guessing that this method would use less processor resources than a lot of the other methods.(Perhaps I should try using this method to create one of those roundabouts that are so popular in Europe and show the cars circling around forever - like I did when I was there :)Phil

Hi Phil,If the FSDS2 animations are similar to the GMax ones, this has no drawback. They can have maximum 1024 frames at 18 Hz, so only 55 seconds of animation time. That is a bit short for vehicles.That is why I am working on a tool that allows you to link different animations together, to get longer animations.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest pecrowther

Arno,That would be a great tool!The longest animation in FSDS is 48 seconds. Those kinds of times can't get a particular car from Point A to Point B, but they should be enough to create a convincing effect of several cars traveling on a busy highway - day or night. You could even insert the occasional "odd" event, like a car changing lanes (and then back for the loop). To create different speed lanes, you would have to use two animations - one for each lane.Now, if we could only find a way to trigger, nest or offset these animations - even just a little.I look forward to seeing what you can come up with.Phil