Sign in to follow this  
Guest pecrowther

Landable API Only Works Sometime

Guest pecrowther

Using FSSC, I have created an API which defines a hardened surface to be used as the deck of a carrier:Area16( a %1 %2 5 5 )RefPoint( 2 : %4 %1 %2 E= 0 )SenseBorder( : 5736 6358 870 3534 -5579 -3061 -6428 -5387 -4915 -6492 -2722 -5524 3903 1101 6566 5528)SetElevation( 20 )End16It works find when placed on top of a carrier of the coast of Tinian:N15* 05.18'E145* 37.26'However, it does not work when placed on top of a carrier west of San Diego:N32* 55.55'W117* 41.87'The shadow under the plane flickers. The plane will sit on the surface for a few seconds and then drops through and crashes.Any idea what is causing this?Does it make any difference that I have flattened the ocean around Tinian with LWM polygons?Thanks,Phil

Guest sapper42

Phil, the closest i ever got an Area16 to work was to offset the height from the top of the visible polygon your landing on ( your deck in your case ). From memory the consensus was that FS didnt seem to know wich poly to draw 1st, the hard surface or the visible surface.I did get one to be stable 95% of the time but could never start from that location. It was pointed out to me to try an advanced building at zero height, this allways worked and was more stable.I never tried this as an API tho as i allways hand coded the advanced building to to location i wanted it. Hope this is of some help.rgds Jeff

Guest pecrowther

Jeff,That explains why the deck is flashing. FS2004 can't figure out which has priority, so it keeps changing its mind.It appears that I am reinventing the wheel. I discovered that someone has already created landable versions of the same carrier. (And even has one only a few miles from where I had parked mine.)From disassembling their bgl Area 16 code, it appears that they have done something like you suggest, including hand coding the location.It's too bad that MS did not make FS2004 like CFS in this regard. It appears that they can create moving and landable carriers with only a few changes to the aircraft.cfg files.Thanks,Phil