Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 Re-Boots

Guest TerryT

I believe that this might have been posted some time ago. Today I was flying the King Air (default) and near the end of a 6+ hour flight and while on an aprox 3 miles final, FS2002 and or Wndows XP Home caused my computer to reboot.I have flown much longer flights in other aircraft and never had this problem before. I immediately check the CPU/system temps and they were well within my "Normal" range for the AMD XP1800+. I doubt that I ran out of memory as the weather was not really bad, only light rain and clouds plus I have 768 Mb of PC2100 DDR and only a very few items running in the background such as Norton Ant-virus and what ever it takes for Win XP to do it's thing. I also thought I had a file that goes in the Module folder that is suppose to copy your last present postion so that you can reset the program after such a system crash. I tried to use it but could not seem to locate it and or it will not work if the entire computer reboots and "Clears Core". That was the term we used back in the Air Force when we rebooted our first generation digital flight simulators made by Singer Link. They actually had a core memory made by American Airlines that was about the size of todays desktop computer cases.If anyone out there can shed some light on this system rebooting problem, I would great appreciate it.Sincerely,Terry Turner

What MOBO are you using? Have you had any instability with the computer at any other time? I have two Soyo Dragon+ 1800+ AMD XP cpus. One MOBO would tolerate 768MB (3x256) of memory but was somewhat unstable. The second MOBO would not tolerate the third stick of memory. Both computers are rock solid with 512MB of memory. The Soyo hardware forum is rift with questions concerning the instability when three sticks of memory are installed.If you experience this problem again, remove one of the sticks of memory and try again.

Guest TerryT

The mother board is a Gigabyte and no other programs cause this problem. I reloaded FS2002 and PIC767 tonight just to see if that might help.Terry

>I also thought I had a file that goes in the Module folder >that is suppose to copy your last present postion so that >you can reset the program after such a system crash. I tried >to use it but could not seem to locate it and or it will not >work if the entire computer reboots and "Clears Core".Can't help on the reboot, but it sounds like you are using the AutoSave module. In standard form, this will save your flight every minute (whilst airborne). The saved flights are located in:fs2002flightsmyfltsnamed "AutoSavedayhhmmss"Regardless of how FS crashes (windows crash, FS crash, power failure, child hitting reset button etc) this module should work. Its just a case of reloading FS and loading the latest AutoSave file as you would a normal saved flight.Hopefully you will be back in the KA350 on finals!Andy (YSCB)

Guest TerryT

ThanksTerry

TerrySounds as if you have your system setup to reboot automatically on a fatal error. If you want to see exectly what is causing the error, do the following:Select: Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> System -> Advanced.Now select Settings from the Startup and Recovery section.Under the section System Failure, you will see a check box called Automatically Restart - clear this check box.What this will do is present a "Blue Screen of Death" (BSOD) when your computer encounters the error again but now you will see details of what caused the crash (probably a driver error).This will at least help you start to identify the cause, as you can use the dll named to search the Microsoft knowledge base for known problems. You may even be able to identify the cause as a graphics or sound card driver, again from the name of the dll or drv file.Hope this helps and good luck!