Sign in to follow this  
GHD

Recent experience with photoreal

Guest artmartin

Here's a screen shot of my latest work on this project. Flying over downtown Phoenix looking back East towards Squaw Peak and Scottsdale. No autogen defined for there yet so be patient. More to come.Art Martinhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/106517.jpg

Guest artmartin

Man, too many software packages in too little time. The experience I was relating to in Terrabuilder was in fact with the use of Ground2k4. Apologies Misho. I tried Terrabuilder again last night and realized immediately that it was a whole different user interface. Now, I still have to tell you that I ran into an immediate user interface problem when I went to enter extents into the image setup page. First, what in the heck are the little pushbuttons on the four corners for and why do the opposite entry boxes change when I type a value into them. I know there's probably a tutorial (I've probably downloaded it) that explains all this, but why can't a page have instructions on it? Also, why this seeming need to put in lat/long in decimal equivalents when FS gives it in HMS format? That's what I liked about FS Resample Tools. It is designed the way a human mind processes things. Here's your choices. What do you want to do next (in plain English)? Are you sure that's the choice you want to make? If so, here's the repercussions. Only the buttons you logically should push are visible and enabled. The input boxes for lat/long are exactly the way you get the info from slewing around the scenery in FS. The input labels describe exactly what the boxes are asking for. On a personal rant about programming - I began as a DOS programmer where our systems were designed procedurally, one step after the other, instead of this wide open Windows GUI that most programmers bought into. Multitasking is a wonderful thing but it's not how the human mind works best. Users are the most comfortable when they're presented with exact and very limited steps they can take where the programmer limits the paths they can go down. Why have a screen with 30 buttons on it when most users will only use one or two of them? If they need to use that additional functionality, take them down a different path, give them another more specific screen with options that only deal with the task they choose. I was often told that my programs didn't need manuals to use them. Maybe it's just cause I'm too dumb to add in complexity to things. There's certainly no right or wrong and I feel this pang of guilt here for even intended constructive criticism when the programs I'm referring to are absolutely free. Oh well, that's the fun and the wealth of forums.I'm going to continue this in the Terrabuilder forum after searching my harddrive for that tutorial I know I downloaded.

Art:OH MY GOD!! THIS LOOKS FABULOUS :) You are doing a fantastic job from the looks of this. And wow, what a difference from when I fly over the same area, even when using fscene :)I emailed you, so I will be awaiting your reply. Very nice job indeed :)Tim

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com