Sign in to follow this  
arno

Relocating objects after installing photoreal textures

Guest artmartin

Hello again, have been working more on my Phoenix area photoreal texturing and have just put in a section covering downtown Phoenix. Now MS has done a very good job of adding in a number of very realistic building objects that are great models of downtown buildings. However, I've found that those objects are a bit offset from where they fit on the photoreal textures. Case in point: The Bank One Ballpark looks fine on the default texture since the photo they used originally was probably taken long before the stadium was built. There's simply no reference to tell you the if building is in the wrong place. Once I lined up my new image however, you can clearly see the actual building off to the side of the FS object. (by the way I'm using the USA Roads data to align my new photoreal images. Am I correct in assuming those roads are always correct?)So here's my question: Can I move Microsoft's objects to line up with my new images and what tools do I need to do that? I have no clue how to even find out what .bgl file the object definitiion and location is located in so please assume I'm an absolute rookie in all this.

Hi Art,The best thing you can do is make an exclude for the original objects and then place them again. You can do this for example with a tool like ObPlacer XML (available from my site) or you can also write the XML code yourself of course.The biggest problem is probably finding the GUIDs of the origional objects. I think you can best try to decompile the library BGL to find them. After that you can call them in your new XML file to place the objects.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest artmartin

Thanks, have yet to decompile a BGL file. I think I'm reading the posts I've looked through right but is it safe to conclude that if one decompiles a BGL and then recompiles it, that it simply won't be the same since Microsoft hasn't released all their secrets yet? I thought I'd seen a program that went out and found all the Microsoft objects and GUID's for you but can't remember which one it was. Any suggestions?Thanks,Art Martin

Yes, there are some downloads that provide a list of objects, but I don't think objects specific to a certain city are included in there. In general they only list the common ones.You are right about recompiling the decompiled file, that is why I would suggest to only decompile it to find the GUIDs. After that you can make a new file to place the object in the correct location. While an exlcude removes the old ones.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest artmartin

Thanks, will try that tonight.