Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightplan

Creating objects for FS9

Guest flightplan

HI,I'm relatively new to FS9 and computers in general and I have no programming experience. However, I've been experimenting with XML, BGL, BMP, and JPEG files. I sort of understand the relationship between XML and BGL files and JPEG and BMP files but I'm confused on the relationship between the BMP and BGL files.I've been using the excellent program "Rwy12Object Placer v.1.1" by Israel Roth and Seev Kahn to place objects at my airport. Say I have a BMP file with several objects: i.e., a BMP file that has a chair, table and tent as the objects to place - I assume each of these objects has a texture file of it's own somewhere. In Rwy12, an object is chosen, placed, an XML file created , and then a BGL file generated which shows in FS9. Three qestions:1. Does the individual object BMP file get converted to part of the total XML file that is created before the BGL file is Generated?2. If so, how does that take place? 3. Where is the texture file for the individual objects located?I hope I'm making sense. but I'm trying to learn something about the relationships between the programming files and how all the object and texture creation takes place. I'v developed an admiration for programmers that share with us the FS9 scenery utilities and programs.If you have taken the time to read this long and probably confusing post, I thank you. Any explanations, tips, hints, or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.Tom :-newbie

Hello Tom,These are good questions, and this matter can appear confusing at first.The bgl is the description of the model, including the shape of the object and the name of the textures along with their placement on the object itself, that is, how they are "mapped" to the object. The bgl also indicates the location where the object is placed.The bmp (bitmap) is the texture of the object. It is not included in the bgl at all, but is a separate file. While it can be in numerous types of image formats, for recent versions of FS it is best to convert the bitmap to DXT format. DXT is a compressed Direct-X format with a .bmp extension. The only way you will know that it is DXT is because image editors cannot read it!Rwy 12 Object Placer, and the old macro (api) methods of placing objects also provide a small image, usually but not always, in jpg format so that the designer can see exactly what he is placing. However, this jpg image is not needed for creating the bgl and does not affect the object at all. It is only there for convenience.Best regards.Luis

Guest flightplan

HI,Thank you, Luis, for your response - it has helped clear up the relationships between the various files. I don't want to impose on your time but I do have another question: - How does one create a BGL file with all the information that it contains? I suppose there is a program language editor that is used to create the BGL file. I have a feeling I'm getting way over my head with this topic. Programming is difficult and I would imagine it takes years of school and training to be able to create some of these scenery and aircraft files. Thanks again for your reply - and patience with a "newbie."Tom:-)

Hello Tom,We are all part of the community and here to help. Don't hesitate to ask anything at all.No need for school and training - there is no such thing as a Microsoft Certified FS Scenery Designer. Anyone can create scenery thanks to the accumulated knowledge of the community and the great tools that are available.If you want, perhaps you could take a look at the topic that is pinned to the top of this forum. It contains much information that is very helpful.To add objects to FS, you can use Rwy 12 Object Placer, as you have been doing, or other programs such as Flight Simulator Scenery Creator (available in the AvSim library) or Airport for Windows and its newer derivative SceneGenX. They will all create bgls.For a list of all the default FS objects, as well as the program used to create blgs (BGL Compiler), see the Microsoft BGL Compiler S.D.K. This also explains how to create all the new-style blgs, with lists of all the elements that can be added.To create an exclusion bgl, use ExcBuilder by Paavo Pihelgas, available in the AvSim library.And there are many more programs that create the bgl. It really all depends on what you want to do.If you have gotten that billboard up at the airport, then you must decide what your next project will be. Based on that, we can then recommend the best programs for the job.Best regards.Luis

Just want to add one things. The objects used with Rwy12 are all contained in object libraries. These objects are made with GMax and then combined into such libraries. In GMax the shape of the object and the texture used is then all defined.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest flightplan

HI,Thank you, Luis, for your kind and informative response. I have downloaded several of the programs you recommended and printed out the "Scenery Design Guide" at the top of the forum - a lot of reading to do.As for my next project, I'm not really sure what I want to do. I've just about completed my airport and am working with TTools(by Lee Swordy) to have some AI aircraft fly in and out of the airport.I was thinking of giving GMAX a try.:-eek I came across a tutorial that teaches how to create a simple object - a table. This would be a good way for me to learn how to create an object for FS9.I'm sure I'll have many more questions regarding scenery design and I'm glad you are willing to help. Thanks again.Tom:-)

Guest flightplan

Hi,Thanks, Arno, for your reply. I noticed that GMAX is on my computer but I'm not sure how it got there.:-hmmm It's the *.exe and I have not installed it yet - I figure there might be an upgrade or newer program that I don't know about - will have to do some searching.I mentioned to Luis that I found a tutorial that teaches how to create a table in GMAX. Might be a good place to start. Thanks again.Tom:-)