Sign in to follow this  
Guest grb

Modifying existing Gmax created asm files compiled with FSREGEN....

Guest grb

Hi all,OK. I create a object using Gmax. Then export it using the middleman/makemdl package and send the resulting asm, and bgl files to my fsregen directory where I have my bglc executable stored.Now. Once I have compiled a bgl for the object using FSREGEN, then using FSREGEN create a "api" file which I copy to AIRPORT-210 directory, and of course copying the fsregen compiled bgl to my FS2K2 ADDONSCENERY DIRECTORY,I then use AIRPORT-210 to place the api in various airports. No problem. I see the object appear at all the airports.NOW. I would like to modify the original Gmax file, recompile it with rsregen etc.. OFFCOURSE I would use the original GUID Library number for the newly compiled asm in rsregen. So. once recompiled in DOS window bglc blah.asm blah.bgl I would have a new bgl (containing the modified Gmax object) with the original GUID number.OK. Now my question is this:Can I just overright (copy/paste) the old bgl in the ADDONSCENERY directory with the new bgl file, and expect the new version to show up at the airports, IF I make sure the new bgl file contains the exact same GUID Library hex number ID sequence as the original bgl had?Why do I ask this? Well to save the trouble of having to delete dozens of api's at airports and put the new api version in each airport using AirportforWindows-210.Thanks for an awswer to this question. I hope my grammer is readable.George

Hello George,Your grammar is fine.You are correct - simply replace the old bgl with the new. If the GUID is the same, then your new object will display correctly everywhere.Best regards.Luis

Guest GCBarni

Since you have a Gmax *.mdl, an *.xml file plus a GUID, why not dispense with AFW and use SceneGenX, also from the same author? This way, you don't need to convert to an *.api file and shouldn't need to worry about altering the heading info everytime you wish to place the same object in different areas.

Guest grb

Luis,Thanks for your reply. I guess I just could have tried the process out, before asking. Obviously I am glad to hear it is possible.regards,George

Guest grb

Garvin,Tnanks for the suggestion. But as Luis, indicated, I am using FS2K2, so these this new package is in-appropriate, plus I believe all the newer packages require the "registered" FSUPIC, which I do not have. But thanks for the otherwise good idea.regards,George

The last about FSUIPC is not true, but the fact that the new gamepack does not work with Fs2004 is a very good reason to use the old gamepack of course :D.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest grb

Hi Arno,As I view the news section of AFW I see the following information regarding the AFW package builds:August 2, 2004Airport For Windows Build 190 posted * Improved FSUIPC handling * Added FSUIPC Freeware Key for those not running a registered FSUIPC module.*********************************************************I am still using the "pre-registration FSUIPC package, Version 2.95, made 20th December 2002.So I assumed I would have to register or do something to activate the "Freeware Key". And if I failed in doing so I may screw up the current AFW package I had installed.Can you shed some light on this? That is. Will I have to do something extra (beyond the initial build installation) to allow the newest AFW code to work properly with this "pre-registered" FSUIPC I am still using in FS2k2 simulator?Thanks for any enlightenment.George

Hi Georg,This freeware key means that AFW will now automatically tell FSUIPC that is has a freeware key and can thus work with a non-registered version of FSUIPC as well.If you are still using a pre-registered version, then it should not be a problem at all, as it should always work correctly with AFW.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest grb

Arno,Thanks for the feedback/advice. Guess I will download that last build and give it a try.Best regards,George