Sign in to follow this  
arno

Correct Installation procedure ??

Hi everybody!I would like to know something about good practise for installing sceneries. I would like as many as possible to contribute to a discussion about this issue.I have experienced problems with a third part add-on called FlightSim Commander (FSC) after installing a scenery. FSC can - besides a flightplan function - draw a draw a map on my screen showing all airports and navaids, jetroutes, victorroutes etc etc. In order to get its information the FSC has a so-called Database Manager. This Database Manager is reading the different BGL-files in the FS9 main- and subfolders. In the specific scenery (greek scenery from Hellenic Scenery Project) the designers has moved alle airports in Greece a little bit in order to correct their position. After installing the scenery in two folders called "FS9/Scenery/HSP" and "FS9/Scenery/HSP(witout texture)" and after Database Manager have been updating by reading all BGL-files, the map in FSC is showing duplets of every airport. It seems that the information about the old position of the airports has been read together with the info about the new position. SOME QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSING:Can anybody explain to me what went wrong here? How do designers ensure that the BGL-files does not contail double information?Hoe do third part add-on programs that read the BGL-files in FS9 ensure that the correct info is obtained?In the hope to get some feed bach on this issueLars Frederiksen

Hi Lars,I think this is not a problem with the installation method used.When using addon scenery it is normal that different version of the same airport are there. The scenery engine makes sure that the addon version has a higher priority and does show instead of the default airport.If you use AFCAD for example, you will see that is also scans all BGL files and then determines the priority order of the different versions of the airport found.So if the program you are using does not do this and just displays all airports it finds, then I think the program is wrong there. You might be able to fool the program by removing certain files while you scan (as you asked about last week), but another solution is not possible I think.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks for your reply Arno. It seems that you are the only person in the whole fligtsim-community that take this problem seriously and comes with a feed-back.Obviously the problems lies in the third part add-on programs and not the scenery designers and the way sceneries are installed. I found a problem in another flightplan program called FSNav and wrote about it in this forum:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=25542&page=I have tried to write to the developer of FlightSim Commander, but no response yet. Likewise I have tried to throw some light on the problem with FSNav on the programs forum. Yet without responses. I guess I have to be a little bit more patient.Best RegardsLars

Hi Arno!I now hae recieved a mail from the developer of FlightSim Commander. He tells me that it's the philosofy of the FSC Database Manager (like MSFS) that add-on sceneries should be placed in the addon scenery folder and not in the default "FS9/scenery/" folder.He has installed the Greek Scenery in this way and find that no airports is shown twice. I guess it's good practise then to put addon sceneries in the "FS9/Addon Scenery/" folder. I guess it will not give any problems even though some Scenery Installation guide tells you to put the Scenery elsewhere?RegardsLars

As long as the scenery is installed in scenerygreek sceneryscenery (so in an own subfolder) I don't think it should make any difference. I have often installed scenery in folder outside the FS root.As long as you are not installing it inside one of the default folder and thus mixing the addon and default BGL files, I don't see why the location of the folder should give trouble.But if this solution works, then it is also fine of course :), just move the folder around.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog