Sign in to follow this  
Guest DanielBu

LOD = blurry textures?!

Guest DanielBu

Hi all, I have this problem with a gmax building and it's driving me nuts ... I just can't find the answer. I had had 3 LODs and everything worked fine. I've named them xxx_LOD_10 etc. and they're all linked to a dummy object. I later opened the groups to make some changes, and after re-compiling some of the textures had gotten all blurry in-game. I then tried adding LOD's, corrected the names ("_010"), I re-linked everything, etc. but nothing seems to help. I then gave up on linking and just compiled the groups, still to no avail. Has anyone had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated...-Daniel

Does this only happen when you use the LODs or also on this model without LODs? And when you get really close to the model, does the blurriness go away?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest DanielBu

Yep, the blurriness goes away when I zoom in but returns immediately when e.g. I press "alt" for the menu. Indeed it also happens without the LOD's ... thanks for pointing me there. I only added an "edit mesh" to move some vertices, and I added another texture to the multi-material and 2 uvw modifiers. Maybe it has to do with the material? -Daniel

I think it is the texture used indeed. Do you use the same texture on different parts of your object, while they have very different scales? In that case it could be that the scale of the texture is set wrong in the texture list.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest DanielBu

No, I'm using the texture only once. I've tried variing the size but that didn't help ... funny thing is, I'm using another texture that is similar (with some minor modifications) on the same part, and this one is sharp. I'm using several different textures with different sizes, is there any convention I should stick to? like, "only square textures" or something like that? -Daniel

Hi Daniel,No, I have never found that different texture sizes or so give trouble.Only when you are mapping different parts of one texture at different parts of the object (so for example one part covers 1x1 meters, while another parts covers 20x20 meters) I have seen trouble with blurry textures.

Arno

Guest DanielBu

Well ... I reverted to an older version and redid some changes, now it works again. Someone should invent something like an "easy solution" to problems like these :-lolThanks anyway.-Daniel

Guest DanielBu

I found out that the error occurs when you are modelling a complex object and you texture a given polygon more than once, e.g. using mesh select and uvw maps. -Daniel