Sign in to follow this  
Guest farmer

File conversion to xml for Rwy12

Guest johnnyb1

Hello All. This is my first visit to this forum. Looks like a very cool place to be. To my quest. I have been designing scenery for FS since 2002. I found that FSDS2 is easier for me than Gmax (I'm all thumbs with gmax). I've started using Rwy12 and I think it's great. As objects can be created for Rwy12 using gmax, I am wondering if a similar way of doing the same using FSDS2. If anyone knows of a method of converting FSDS2's fsc files to xml files, I would greatly appreciate help along those lines. Thanks.

You are confusing the output from FSDS and GMAX. Each program uses a different compiler to make the object (macro). The objects are not interchangeable. FSDS uses the SCASM compiler to make an object or macro. GMAX, with the FS2004 gamepack, compiles the object or macro into a different format resulting in an *.mdl file. It also supplies a small XML file for including the *.mdl file into a compiled scenery *.bgl using the FS2004 BGLCOMP.exe compiler.Only FS2004 GMAX compiled *.mdl files are compatible with Rwy12 since it uses the FS2004 BGLCOMP.exe compiler to make the resulting scenery *.bgl.W. Sieffert

Guest johnnyb1

Thanks W. Sieffert. I wasn't sure if there was an incompatibility or not. I guess if I want to contribute to the Rwy12 library I need to go back and try to learn modelling with Gmax. Take care and be well.

Hello John,There should not be any problem in using your objects created in FSDS. Rwy 12 Object Placer does not in fact use those objects at all, but only creates a calling bgl that indicates where they should be placed.Here is how it works: Once you have created an object or objects, you should create an object library bgl with them. Someone here who is more conversant with FSDS (probably Arno) can give you more details on that.Each object will have a G.U.I.D., this is a Globally-Unique Identification consisting of a group of hexadecimal characters.You must then create a list of your objects with their G.U.I.D.s in an XML document so that Rwy12 Object Placer can recognize them. See the Rwy 12 documentation for more information.Then, simply place the objects as usual with Rwy 12. You will get a small bgl that indicates which object goes where. Declare this bgl in the FS Scenery Library along with your object library bgl and the accompanying textures.Best regards.Luis

Guest johnnyb1

Thanks Luis, I'll give it a try. I'll let you know how I made out.Thanks again.John

Guest luissa

Hello,I think that objects created with FSDS can not be called with XML code and so they can not be placed with the Rwy12 programme.There are 2 modes to call library objects:a) the FS8 way (FS2002) in which case the calling BGL can be made as sequences of SCASM commands such us:Area()PerspectiveCall()RefPoint() with V1 and V2= CallLibObj()EndAobjects called this way will show in both FS2002 and FS2004 and the impact on frame rates depends mainly on the instructions used on the model (which go to the library BGL). FSDS1 will produce "slow code" but FSDS2 will produce "fast code".:( the FS9 way (FS2004) in which case the calling BGL can be made as sequences of SCASM commands such us:Header( 0x201 )LibraryObject()LibraryObject()objects called this way will only show in FS2004. This mode is exactly the same as compiling a XML placement file with BGLCOMP. "Rwy12" objects belong to this mode.*** change of subject ***For those interested, I uploaded a version of SBuilder which supports the placement of:- FS8 objects- FS9 objects- "Rwy12" objects- API macros (in development)In order to place "Rwy12" objects, you just add a line to the SBuilder.ini file specifying the path to your Rwy12 programme like this:Rwy12Path=C:FSRWY12When SBuilder starts it looks for this path. If it founds it, it loads the IDs of the objects so that you can place them from SBuilder using a background map for easy placement. When generating the BGL, SBuilder uses SCASM commands as in :( above.Details in:http://www.ptsim.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=287Regards, Luis

Yes, Luis is correct. You can not call old style (pre-Fs2004) library objects with XML code. So it is not possible to call FSDS objects with Rwy12.But some time ago I got a FSDS XML file from somebody and I started to make a converter that makes a MDL object from this FSDS XML file. Due to lack of time I have not yet finished this project, but that would give the possibility to convert FSDS objects to the new format.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest luissa

>But some time ago I got a FSDS XML file from somebody and I>started to make a converter that makes a MDL object from this>FSDS XML file. Due to lack of time I have not yet finished>this project, but that would give the possibility to convert>FSDS objects to the new format.Hi,As you know I will be waiting for that convertor!Luis

Thank you very much for the correction, Luis. My mistake, as I had thought that it would be possible to create a library with FSRegen and call the objects from there. Thanks again.Best regards.Luis

>That's a very good new Arno ! thank you for this project.Now I remember again, you sent me the XML files as example :).I have continued coding today, hopefully I have a beta version soon.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest Hugo

Super Arno. I'm also an FSDS user and will be looking for that one too!! Hopefully this procedure will be transportable to future FS versions. In a couple months I should retire and will have somewhat more time to get into GMax as well as other tools, mainly Ground2k. Nevertheless FSDS remains a very good tool, despite some weakness, the lack of rotate to aircraft and seasonal texture options - the latter I was able to get by, by editing the api file following infos I found on this forum -. So the converter you are working on would be very much welcomed.Just a word on Pascal's latest release. - Mont St-Michel -. Awesome! Everyone should get it! Just follow the link Pascal signs with above and don't forget to get the night textures upgrade as well.Hugo

Guest johnnyb1

Hi Luis,Thanks for the info looks like I'll have to wait for something else. I like FSDS2. Tried Gmax, but had to remove it. Keep losing the mltdan.dle file (Is that the way it's spelled?) so Gmax won't start. Gonna try reloading in again.John

Guest johnnyb1

To all who responded to my initial question about FSDS2 objects and XML conversion. Thanks. I appreciate the response. Learned something too. What a great bunch of guys out there in Flightsim Community. I'm going to try to learn Gmax (if I can get it working properly). Everytime I install it, it can't find the mlt***.dle file therefore it will not start. Going to give it another try. Meanwhile, I'll just FSDS2 as is and enhance with the comtributions of others with Rwy 12. Thanks loads everyone. Working on another upstate NY airport. Will be released soon. Everyone take care and be well.

OK, I have a first (early alpha) version of the conversion tool ready. You can read more about it and download it here:http://www.scenerydesign.org/forum/showthread.php?t=905

Arno