Sign in to follow this  
Guest farmer

File conversion to xml for Rwy12

Guest Hugo

Hi Arno! Thanks for your tool. But I must confess I'm a bit at loss here.This thread started with johnnyb1's post wandering if there was a way to convert FSDS2 .FSC files into an XML type for the purpose of using them with RWY12. I shared the same interest.After inputs from few peoples, you jumped in informing us you had a converter you were working on to convert an FSDS2 generated xml file someone (Pascal) submited to you. This is my first question. I checked FSDS2 and can't find any way to create an xml type of file. Did Pascal use any particular tool to convert either .fsc, .api or .bgl type of file, which are, to my knowledge, the only type of output FSDS2 can create, to produce this xml he sent you?Now my understanding is that this xml file is not adequately fitted for RWY12's usage and has to be pampered some more, hence your FSDSMDL tool to produce an mdl file.Here again, RWY12 requires to be fed with an xml file to output the final bgl.So my 2nd question. How does one go from to mdl file output by your tool to transform it into an adequate xml one for the final leg through RWY12.Sorry for my blunted ignorance and thanks for any suggestion to fill in the blanks :-)Hugo

Hi Hugo,When more bugs have been removed from the tool I will have to write a better manual for it as well :).>This is my first question. I checked FSDS2 and can't find any>way to create an xml type of file. Did Pascal use any>particular tool to convert either .fsc, .api or .bgl type of>file, which are, to my knowledge, the only type of output>FSDS2 can create, to produce this xml he sent you?I must say that I am not using FSDS2 myself anymore, but (the latest version?) has an option to export/save as XML file. I hope someone that uses FSDS2 will read this and can tell you where in the menu it is exactly.>Now my understanding is that this xml file is not adequately>fitted for RWY12's usage and has to be pampered some more,>hence your FSDSMDL tool to produce an mdl file.Yes, this XML file is in a special format and defines the object. With my tool you will be able to make a MDL object out of it, just like GMax can make a MDL object for you.If you want to use this MDL file in Rwy12 the following steps need to be taken in general. First you make an object library BGL from these MDL files. You can do this with a XML file or use Library Creator XML for example, which gives you a GUI for this task.The last step is then to make another XML file, this time in the format that Rwy12 reads and that will show the objects in Rwy12 with their pictures, so that you can place them. On the Rwy12 site you will find an article on how to make this XML file.So, I must admit it is a bit confusing, but you have 3 different kinds of XML files in the end. One is the FSDS XML, the other is the BGLComp XML that defines the library and the last one is the XML file that Rwy12 actually reads.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest GCBarni

Arno, I have FSDSv2, scenery creator version only, and can not find anything relating to the *.xml format. There is of course, an option for *.mdl files, but this is strictly with regard to aircraft models. When this action is selected, FSDS creates a complete aircraft folder system for the model, under the FS directories.

OK, I decided to dig up my copy of FSDS and install it again.In the File menu you will find the option Export. Here you can save your project as a XML file.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest luissa

Hi FSDS users,Until yesterday I also would say there was no XML output from FSDS. But, looking to the File Menu on the 7th entry just before "create FS object", I discovered it.I converted an object with Arno programme and was able to see it on the sim. As many many non-gmax users, I also had problems to understand the line of work. Here is what I have done:- exported as XML from FSDS2- run the converter (FSDSMDL) to generate an MDL from the XML- run Library Creator (also from Arno) and created a new library file. While in this programme, added the previous MDL and compiled the library getting a BGL (FS2004 style library BGL).Now you can take several directions to call the library as there are many programmes that can place the objects. I have used SB for this.Arno here are some thoughs for you to consider:- I know there are pluggins for FSDS. I wonder if the converter could be called from FSDS as we Export the object in XML. Or, may be, a command line version of the converter could help its integration with FSDS.- A batch ("Mass" as I saw on one of your tools) option would also be useful.Kind Regards, Luis

Hello everybody,Thank you arno for this tool : I just tested it with a few FSDS2 objects and it works fine !I placed them with a "standard" placement XML file :<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>you must compile the XML file (just drag it over bglcomp.exe) with your "FSDSmodel.mdl" in the same directory.As arno and Luissa said, you can also build XML library or special Rwy12 library format.Arno : if you want some FSDS macro with simple animation (water mill for instance) to improve your program... no problem !question : has anybody tried to make dynamic library with fs2004 style mdl code ?thanks again and best regards,pascalhttp://perso.wanadoo.fr/p.dumat

>Arno : if you want some FSDS macro with simple animation>(water mill for instance) to improve your program... no>problem !I think I will try to fix other bugs first, before I start working on animated parts :). At the moment there are enough problems with night textures or smooth polygons, that I want to fix first.Animations will be the next adventure :).>question : has anybody tried to make dynamic library with>fs2004 style mdl code ?I haven't heard of that before. I guess you should just try, I have no idea if the dynamic scenery code is able to call the RIFF libraries.

Arno

Guest GCBarni

Thanks Arno.....didn't even try "Export" option! Interesting that there is no mention of *.xml at all in the FSDS Help files and no explanation of it being under the Export menu.

As posted elsewhere, I am trying to install "ktus_158462.zip" but is saays I need rnwy12 to work.......when I get to this in AVSIM files, many different files show up.......is rnwy12 a bunch of saller files or am I looking in the wrong place and there is a file named "rnwy12.ip"?? Also needs trees and Nova gold.......how does this work?? Appreciate some direction, many thanks

Hi Dick,>As posted elsewhere, I am trying to install "ktus_158462.zip"> but is saays I need rnwy12 to work.......when I get to this>in AVSIM files, many different files show up.......is rnwy12 a>bunch of saller files or am I looking in the wrong place and>there is a file named "rnwy12.ip"?? Also needs trees and Nova>gold.......how does this work?? Appreciate some>direction, many thanksI answered in the other thread, so we can prevent that this thread goes of topic :).

Arno

Guest Hugo

Thanks for all your work Arno. For this tool yes, but also for all you brought to this community.Will try to make the best of it :-)Hugo

Guest farmer

Arno;I am using your FSDS2Mdlmaker program. Everything works great, but some added parts to the object (cabin) will not rotate to the correct position in the sim. Any thoughts?Farmer

Rotation of objects is currently not fully implemented (I mean the rotation of a part in FSDS in that case), so probably that is the reason of the trouble you have.In the next version I hope to have this implemented (remember it is an alpha version, so I am sure it is buggy).

Arno

Guest farmer

Just a great program for us FSDS users, no gripe just reporting a bug.Thanks for even implementing this for FSDS.Farmer