Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightsimstudios

dynamic moving objects

Guest Captain Geoff

Hi everyone -I want to be able to dynamically move a static BGL object on the fly by changing it's lat/lon position from an external program.I have established communication between an interface for FS9 and a simulation running on a separate computer. Does anyone know how to get to an object in memory and change its position or other parameters?Senior Captain, Pier Glass Aviation

I think this is very hard to achieve. Maybe it is possible when the object is placed as dynamic scenery (section 15), but I don't think you can do it with normal static objects. As the coordinates of these are coded in the BGL file.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Captain Geoff

Mmmm, true, but at some point the file must be read and placed in ram/memory. I sure hope M$ isn't trying to read the file every iteration of the sim.Guess, Ill keep searching for clues on how to do this.Senior Captain, Pier Glass Aviation

It is sure read into the RAM sometime, but I don't think MS allows us to tweak the process at that point :). Tools like FSUIPC can communicate with FS and also change the coordinates of the aircraft, but the coordinates of the scenery object are not available through this method (that would be hundreds of coordinates anyway).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest Captain Geoff

Rizzle frizzits. Bummer!!!Caught between a rock and a hard place. Yeah, it looks like a rather immense task now. Not knowing much about scenery, I had hoped that there would be one coordinate for lat/lon and everything else for an object would be relative to it. Even so, I would still have to search for the object - perhaps each iteration.Well, maybe in FS2006 M$ will make moving objects like ships landable, and controllable from external programs.Thanks for the advice!Senior Captain, Pier Glass Aviation

Guest flightsimstudios

FS 4.0 you want FS4.0 with the MS Airport and Scenery Designer addon ;)