Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightsimstudios

Dynamic Scenery Design and GPS?

Guest flightsimstudios

I used to use FSAction tools for FS98 to create dynamic scenery, and unfortunately it doesn't work with FS2004...I'm wondering about how FS2004 dynamic scenery is created and what tools are needed...I'm also wondering if there is a way to take a GPS recorded track and create a dynamic object that runs along the GPS recorded track?Dean

Hi Dean,If you don't mean the AI but the old dynamics with dynamic scenery, then I don't think the format has changed in Fs2004 (actually still the same as Fs98 I think). But in the default scenery these old dynamics are not used anymore as far as I know.In the old days I used DOD with the Flight Recorder module and that allowed you to record tracks and use them for dynamics.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest flightsimstudios

Yeah that's what I thought... Unfortunately the flight recorder engine has changed in FS2004 from what it was in FS98... I can't import the recorded flight data into FSAction Scenery...Two options are possible though... See if I can get GPS data into the old FS98 format, and then call an FS2004 GUID code from it... It should work...I'm wondering how smooth the dynamic scenery is now in FS2004...It'd be an interesting experiment...I'd better run, I need to do some slicing and dicing of my photoscenery so I can prove the WGS84 datum stuff by the end of the weekend...

Guest Firestriker

FSAction still works, even with the FS8 and FS9 recorders. Record your path using the V.1 Compatible -(Text) format and before you import the path, open the fltrec.dat file in notepad and change the top line from# FSASM Flight Data Recorder version 9.0.0.0or# FSASM Flight Data Recorder version 8.0.1.0to# FSASM Flight Data Recorder version 6.1.0.18For DOD use the older V.02 Compatible - (Text) format.Lou

Guest flightsimstudios

>Record your path using the V.1 Compatible -(Text) format andThanks for the info Lou :-) This is extremely exciting news!!!Just wondering how you choose v.1 Compatible, not sure I've seen any way to do that, is it in the sim or a .cfg file?Now you've made my day....

Guest Firestriker

In the sim, click on Recorder on the Menu bar, then Settings. now you should see a dropdown menu with the word Set in front of it. This is where you set it to V.1 Comaptible -(Text) or V.02 Compatible -(Text).Lou

Guest flightsimstudios

Thank you so much... I'll give it a shot... Now I'm tempted to upgrade my GPS and see if I can use some GPS tracks in the sim... That would be awesome..!!!I'm curious... Have you actually recorded any dynamic scenery tracks for FS2004? I'm wondering if the dynamic scenery moves more smoothly in FS2004 than it did in FS98. FS98 from what I recall was kinda jumpy between points. I've seen some animated stuff in FS2004 but I'm not sure if it was a GMAX generated animation of dynamic scenery generated.I might yet be able to create an animated dolphin feed at a resort I used to work at :) That'll be fun... Thank you so so much for the info... You've given me a few new ideas actually come to think of it, I'll have to see if I can find a good GMAX modeller to work with me on some stuff... Could be very interesting days ahead in the sim ;) Stuff no one has done before :DDean.

Guest flightsimstudios

Lou,In the default FS9, there doesn't appear to be any options as you described. Is there some sort of download I should be aware of?In FS9, I have: Options/Flight Video A button to start recording, but that's about it (apart from playing back old videos)There is no options setting, and nor is there one when I stop recording the video. When I hit escape to stop recording in FS9 all it gives me options for is to name the file and to save. No other options are available.Is there a 3rd party tool that is needed to record the flight videos?Dean.

Yes, you will need the Flight Recorder module (can't remember the exact name).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest flightsimstudios

This is what a search on flightsim.com came up with:FSFW95 - Flight Sim For Win95The Flight Data Recorder[ Download | View ]Name: fltrec77.zip Size: 58,291 Date: 01-08-2001 Downloads: 2850 The Flight Data Recorder v7.0.7, FLTREC.DLL, is an add-on module for use with FSFW95, FS98 and FS2000. The Flight Data Recorder saves your aircraft's flight data to a file as you fly. After your flight, you can analyze the flight data file to see how well you performed. This new version is compatible with FSUIPC, has an improved user interface, has access to all panel SDK variables and can output data in XML. By Ignacio Hernandez-Ros. (Originally by Adam Szofran; modified with permission for FS2000.)I've downloaded this one and am checking it out... I think I tracked it down...Giving it a shot now...Yes, this is the tool... Thank you so much guys... Arno, I'll PM you over at your forums... I want to share an idea with you to say thanks ;)

Guest flightsimstudios

Okay it seems the version I downloaded crashed FS9...It looks like there are versions for FS8 and FS9...Where can I find these versions? I've tried AVSIM and Flightsim.com

Guest flightsimstudios

Oh Arno, thank you thank you thank you!!!

Google :D

Arno

Guest flightsimstudios

lol better than Yahoo, I tried yahoo which used to use the Google engine... Don't know if it still does...Anyways... PMing you now...