Sign in to follow this  
Guest JosephSAnderson

Gridgenerator in FS2004

Guest JosephSAnderson

I have not been able to get Mr. Knobloch's gridgenerator to work in FS9. FS9 crashes when loading a flight containing the grid .BGL. I create the .ASM and then use my existing copy of BGLC.exe to create the BGL. I noticed that the program predates FS9 and I wonder if it works with FS9. It is still recommended in the Beginner's Tutorial, so I am wondering if there is a solution. Joe

Hi Joe.I don't beleive Edgar's program will work in FS9.If you want to have a visual image of the sim, it's much better to use LWMViewer, by Jim Keir.http://www.jimkeir.co.uk/FlightSim/LWMViewer.htmlGet the Stable version ( 1.3 ).This program will load terrain BGLs, and let you decompile the source-code or save a georeferenced bitmap of the area you desire. GREAT program! The bitmap can be used in SBuilder or Ground2K4 as a background map for drawing roads, lakes, etc...Dick

Guest JosephSAnderson

Dick,Thank you for the guidance. I am going through the Ground2K Tutorial for Beginners and was looking for a bitmap that has lat/lon coords on it that I can match to a map (as demonstrated in the Tutorial). I find the LWMViewer a bit daunting as the one page instructions seems to presume a lot of knowledge. Is there a more extensive intro or tutorial for LWMViewer that I have not found?Joe

Hello Richard,I see no reason, why the gridgenerator-bgls should not work in FS2004. They consist of simple VTP lines. The only remarkable thing is: These lines are still the older-style WidePoint-constructions.But in my opinion this doesn't matter - they are not for use in finished sceneries.Joe kindly tried to send me the offending bgl, but I received only hex-coded ASCII-text as attachment. So I am waiting for further clues, because I cannot reconstruct these problems in my FS9 version.If these bgls are still so useful in the age of LWMviewer, needs endeed to be reviewed...Cheers, Edgar

Hi Edgar.I'm sorry if I misuderstood! I remembered I had to rework cellgrid to display in FS9, as the original version was VTP1, and that type no longer works in FS9. I just assumed you had not accounted for this in your program, and that was the cause of the orignal poster.My apologies.Dick

Hi Richard,thanks for your words! I remember your changes for FS2004.I could never go that far to add proper numbers to the lines. So my bgls stayed much simplier...However, I am quite confident, that I can find with Joes help a configuration error in his sceneries as cause for his problem. His second mail looks like that.Best regards, Edgar

Guest JosephSAnderson

Edgar helped me find that I did not have the texture file in the right place. That fixed things. So Gridgenerator does indeed work in FS2004. It would be great if lat/lon minutes as numbers could be added to the display as with the area numbers in CellGrid2004. Thanks to Edgar for his help,Joe