Sign in to follow this  
Guest Diamond Dave

GMAX Chrashed - Lost the project...

Guest misho

Aargh! Is there an utility that would reverse-convert from *.asm to anything that would be readable by GMAX or 3DS MAX?As I was working on a project, GMAX crashed and wasn't even able to emergency-save the the file (hence they ask wether I want GMAX to "attempt" to save the file LOL)The only record of my project that I can use is in the *.asm file that was created as an intermediate file ( I'm tinkering with some reflectivity settings, and I have a switch for intermediate files set in a MakeMDL cfg file)The question is: Can I somehow reverse-convert from *.asm to GMAX? I'll take ANY possibility, I'll even cut-and-paste ASCII vertex and poly data into something that GMAX or 3DS MAX can read...Please help!

Guest odog

no auto-bak!?!?!? check the autobak folder and make sure you select ALL FILES, because by default.. they hide. they're in there, Im sure of it.joe

I have never heard of a tool to import ASM files, so I hope Joe is right. Because else you will have to start from scratch.The only alternative to import the ASM file again would be to convert it to a DXF first. But there is no tool to do that as far as I know (would probably cost you more work then redesigning).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

... bummer. That would suck.In the future, I recommend turning on the gmax "increment on save" function. Every time you save, gmax will save your work under a new file name, incrementing a 2 digit counter, eg. myproject23.gmax. You end up with a plethora of files, but it you never lose much if there's a crash.The bright side is that a clean restart can often result in a better project.Jon

With GMax 1.0 we had crashes rather often, but now I must say that GMax hardly ever crashes on me. I also have the habbit to press Ctrl-S very often, so I will never loose too much if a crash happens.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

I've only been using gmax since November, but I've found crashes to be rare. And I believe in almost every case I've been presented with the option to save my work first. In the rare cases this didn't occur, like Arno, I save often so never had to go back far.Jon

Guest misho

I actually didn't know there is a default auto-bak, so this will at least be a learning experience.Auto-bak is there, but only the last 3 saves, 6 minutes apart. I have since worked on something else and the autobak overwrote it. Thanks anyway for the tip!

Guest misho

Good Tip! Thanks!I actually have a good Ctrl-S etiquette :) but this time it corrupted the original file. Fortunately, the project is not large and it will take me a few hours (hopefully) to re-create it!

Guest misho

Thanks guys! I had the same experience too, not too many crashes, but once in a while, like this time, even the emergency-save failed, as it somehow saved it corrupted.I have a habit of making components in separate files and then merging them all in an "assembly" file. This time, though, out of my own carelesness, I was adding other components to a component file, and I lost it. That means only that component was lost... well, back to the drawing board...

Guest Diamond Dave

You could try 3D Model Converter from http://web.axelero.hu/karpo it says it'll convert FlightSim files, although I haven't managed to get it to work yet, I downloaded it this morning.David

Hi David,Interesting tool. But I could not really find a FS format in the list (only something like FlightSim DAT file). Have you found more information somewhere else?

Arno

Guest Diamond Dave

Hi Arno,Sorry but I also drawn a blank on how it works, I was wondering if we should renamed the model or asm file to DAT :-hmmm David

I just downloaded the tool and tried to read a MDL file and a BGL file. But that did not work.I have not tried the ASM file yet or have not tried renaming as well. But I doubt it is going to work...

Arno

Guest Diamond Dave

ArnoI tried it with a 3ds file and exported it as a FlightSim (DAT) file and had a look see in Notepad and it contained data in this format:v:1 xyz:-1.454245,5.796875,-1.177234;v:2 xyz:-10.540541,5.796875,-1.177235;v:3 xyz:-10.530409,5.796874,-8.591625;v:4 xyz:-10.413183,5.796874,-9.057140; ********* cut to lower down the list ***********f:26224 rgba:0.000,0.000,1.000,1.000 vecs:13737,13738,13740;f:26225 rgba:0.000,0.000,1.000,1.000 vecs:13736,13737,13740;f:26226 rgba:0.000,0.000,1.000,1.000 vecs:13735,13736,13740;f:26227 rgba:0.000,0.000,1.000,1.000 vecs:13735,13740,13741;I've no idea what kind of program for FS object design uses this kind of data.CheersDavid

Hi David,I haven't seen that format before. So I guess it is for another flight simulator. It doesn't say it is for MSFS of course :).

Arno