Sign in to follow this  
Guest bmolony

How to decompile non FS9 BGL files to XML

Guest bmolony

I need to find out how I can decompile non FS9 BGL files to XML.Several years ago, I created a VERY large scenery project for FS2002 which was distributed through AVSIM and other sites to several thousand members of the Flight Sim community. It was called by the name of the scenery area, "Stone Mountain", and included an airport, large mountain (largest exposed granite dome in the world), and surrounding park which attracts 100,000+ visitors each year. I used a combination of many tools including GMax and Airport for Windows.I have recently had a major disaster on my PC and lost all of my work files for that entire project. I wanted to update the project for FS9. I began by downloading the original distribution files from the project from AVSIM. That gives me most all the textures I need so I won't have to start totally from scratch.But it would sure help if I could also recreate some of the original structures. I was hoping that Alessandro Antonini's BGLXML utility could help by converting the original BGL files into XML files. I guess you can imagine my disappointment when I learned that utility only works on certain specific FS9 default BGL files.Does anyone have any ideas about how I could go about converting my custom built BGLs into XML files?Any thoughts and ideas will be sincerely appreciated.Happy flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta Georgia USA

Hi there!BGLAnalyze, by Winfried Orthman seems to be the tool for you.Search for "bglana31.zip" @ AVSim.Hope this helps./Bqt

Yes, with BGLAnalyzer you would be able to create SCASM code of your earlier files (AFW, GMax Fs2002 gamepack, etc). But working with these source file might not be very easy, as you can not really import them in most design tools (or if you can it is very limited). So I am afraid a lot of work will have to be redone anyway to get sources in tools like GMax again.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest bmolony

Catflyer and Arno,Thanks guys for the reply!I had searched for BGL Analyzer unsuccessfully. Having the Zip filename made the difference. I have downloaded it and will try it to see what happens. But I admit that an initial browse of the docs doesn't sound encouraging.I am not afraid of a lot of work. After all I spent probably 1000+ hours on Stone Mountain, Atlanta Skyline, Atlanta Motor Speedway, etc. and enjoyed every minute of it.But I also don't want to "reinvent the wheel" if I can avoid it. It would definitely speed up the process if I can recover even some of the original structural work before I start the rebuilding process.Regardless of what tools I use, I know I have a lot of work to do simply because there are so many major changes in the methods used for FS2002 vs FS2004. Besides, I want to take advantage of the major improvements that can be used with FS9 to do some of the things I wanted to do with the original scenery but were just impossible.Happy flying,Bill MolonyUnder KATL Rwy 27L Approach